PDA

View Full Version : please help - skimmer ?

chrisjet
04/28/2007, 06:33 PM
ok i purchased a coralife super skimmer 65 for my 90g. The guy at the LFS said coralife skimmers are underated and that, that skimmer could handle 125g. Anyway I hooked it up like the directions said. It said to close the top valve "red circle dial" and adjust the bottom ball valve for flow inside the skimmer. The directions said to adjust water level to the bottom of the skimmer cup so i did and it just stayed stagnant for like 2 weeks ?? I have water coming out of the return through the "bubble diffuser" but the skimmer is not creating bubbles inside. What should I do ??

HBtank
04/28/2007, 06:43 PM
Hmm, did you hook up the airline to the pump?

edwing206
04/28/2007, 06:44 PM
That guy lied to you!
Most skimmer are OVERrated.

specialkb
04/29/2007, 12:15 PM
Im having the same problem with my skimmer, diffrent company, but mine keeps just pouring water into the collection cup and not bubbles, like it will just have a bunch of little bubbles that will slowly make it way to the top and then flow over my tanks only been up and running for about a day and a half now and it's filled my collection cup up with just water 3 times.

omni2226
04/29/2007, 12:19 PM
Adjust/trim the plastic tube that connects the pump to the skimmer so that the pump inlet (where the water goes in) is within two or three inches from the top of the water.
If the pump is too deep it cant draw enough air down the airline to make bubbles.
Make sure the airline tube isnt blocked with scum/salt and maybe ziptie it or rubberband it to something so it doesnt fall into the water.

omni2226
04/29/2007, 12:30 PM
Here is a picture or two that may help.
I have the same skimmer, CSS 65.
If you look closely the top of the pump is about two inches from the waterline.
Notice the airsilencer, the little grey tube thing? Its two inches above the waterline. This is about 14 hours worth of skim scum in the cup now.
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i28/Omni2226/003-5.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i28/Omni2226/002-7.jpg

omni2226
04/29/2007, 01:04 PM
I also did away with the bublletrap that came with it. Too bulky and traps gunk.
Another thing you need to do is look at the cap that goes on the coleection cup.
See the little hole for air to exhaust out? Remove the little bits of plastic inside this hole. If you dont it will clog with salt, this prevents the air from escaping and will make the pump "cycle" with the water level never staying constant.