PDA

View Full Version : my protien skimmer

stuccodude
04/29/2007, 08:09 AM
i was wondering if the line comming out of my skimmer is ok to go into the sump, just seen someones set up on line and they had theres routed somwhere else, i wouldnt ask but i have been battling phosfates and nitrates from day 1 but i believe i found the problem, thanks for any advice, troy

Randall_James
04/29/2007, 08:15 AM
which line are you taking about? (where does it come from and what is flowing through it?)

Photo would be best

stuccodude
04/29/2007, 08:24 AM
the cup where all the dirty water goes theres a small line comming out, my skimmer is in the sump, thanks again

Randall_James
04/29/2007, 08:29 AM
absolutely not, this is the trash (skimmate) the skimmer is removing, it needs to be dumped down the drain.

The only exception to this I can think of would be if this line comes off the Top of the collection cup. These lines are often added in case the skimer "runs away" and floods, the water goes back to the system instead of out the drain or on the floor.

Lotus99
04/29/2007, 10:19 AM
If it's a line that goes from the bottom of the collection cup, that should go to a waste container (an old milk jug or something). Anything that goes into the collection cup needs to get thrown away.

Alternatively, put the drain cap back on the collection cup, and empty the cup.

I have a Coralife Super Skimmer that has this drain plug function. I prefer to keep the drain plug in there and empty the cup, rather than use the drain line.

stuccodude
04/29/2007, 11:55 AM
thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I DIG THIS SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IslandCrow
04/29/2007, 12:07 PM
Well, there's your problem. . .:D

Yeah, you can't beat this site for protecting us from our worst enemy. . .ourselves. Good luck, I think that'll go a long way towards solving your nitrate and phosphate problem.