PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here have any input of scorpionfishes?

Brock Fluharty
04/29/2007, 12:34 PM
I am getting my 20 gallon tank setup, cycled, and ready for a pair or trio of Taenianotus triacanthusare. I am probably going to over skim, because I know that MOST predator fish are very messy eaters. Does anyone have any input about the pros and cons of these beauties? Breeding info? PICTURES? I love pictures! So, if you have any of the above please post it!

Thanks,
Brock

ClamIAm
04/29/2007, 02:14 PM
These fish are pretty easy to care for. Mine eat live ghost shrimp. I haven't really had the time to try feeding frozen but this summer I'm going to. They're not exactly messy as they eat the shrimp whole, feeding twice a week. I've never heard of them spawning for anyone and seeing as I think most people keep them in pairs or groups I'd imagine that some special care requirement is needed to induce spawning.

Brock Fluharty
04/30/2007, 09:28 AM
Do you keep Taenianotus triacanthusare? How many are in your 19 gallon?

LisaD
04/30/2007, 09:57 AM
Hi Brock,

I have two that seem to have paired up in my 55 gallon predator reef. I've had them for quite some time, they only take live (ghost shrimp or guppies). They have been quite hardy, and they are really interesting. I haven't found them especially messy, but do be sure to do whatever you have to to keep water quality high. If it were me, I'd put three in a 29 rather than a 20 - I'd limit it to a pair in the 20.

ClamIAm
04/30/2007, 10:15 AM
I have 2 in the 19. I agree that I wouldn't want to add another one to that size tank.

Brock Fluharty
05/03/2007, 05:23 PM
Ok, a pair would suit me just fine. I'd like to use my 75 gallon, and possibly get several, but i've never heard of this before, and my 75 gallon is a reef tank. :)

Brock Fluharty
05/03/2007, 05:25 PM
Oh, also, I know that this species is very distributed in the wild. But what aquascaping details can you give me? Do they like lots of rocks, open space, macro, seagrass, corals? With my lighting and financial situation, I can afford anything, which is very unusual. :):):):):)

LisaD
05/03/2007, 07:09 PM
I keep mine in a 55 gallon predator reef (low flow, hardy corals). I have mushrooms, polyps, leather corals, fox coral, porites, turbinaria. The two leaf fish are with a pair of waspfish, a green wolf eel blenny, a juvenile devilfish (Inimicus) a large mandarin and a couple juvenile angels. The tank is pretty packed, but has a decent skimmer and refugium. Angels are moving to a larger tank. My leaf fish spend time on the rocks, macro and sand. I have about 65 lbs live rock and a shallow sand bed.

I'd keep moderate flow, what ever lighting your corals and macros need, have about 1/3 to 1/4 the area of the tank exposed sand. Avoid aggressive stinging corals and make sure the leaf fish are not outcompeted for food. Mine only tank live food, all the other fish (except the mandarin) will accept frozen.

Brock Fluharty
05/03/2007, 08:21 PM
Well, this is obviously going to be a species tank, so whatever they need, they are getting. So some macros, live rock, and sand? Maybe some corals? Can they actually change color at will, or is it a slow semi-permanent thing?

LisaD
05/04/2007, 07:19 PM
Yes, live rock, macros, shallow sand bed - corals are up to you. If you have moderate lighting, shrooms, polyps, leathers can do well. Mine don't really change color, but they do lighten up a lot after a shed (yes, they actually shed their skins - it looks like a rubber suit).

If you can, use a HOT refugium on the tank, filled with macro to export nutrients. I often run small skimmerless tanks with these.