PDA

View Full Version : carnation

xxseawolf
04/29/2007, 08:02 PM
i currently have a carnation coral that was doing fine. last week it started to lay down on my sandbed. it seems to be fine as it opens up and extends out 3+ inches. the question i ask is why does it lay down on the sandbed even though it looks healthy. i feed it phycopure every 3 or 4 days days with the rest of my corals. is there anything else i should be doing? thanks for any advice.

amike5
04/29/2007, 08:14 PM
Not a very easy to keep coral, nobody knows what it eats. Success in an aquarium is small I believe.

DaBenzsta08
04/29/2007, 08:19 PM
I had a pink one for like 2 months feed it twice a day cyclopeez, then it just disintegreated. I still have an orange one that I act[ually saved from the LFS i work at, i dont feed this one nearly as much but its still doing fine. Remember that they are not photosynthetic so they like a very shaded area!

xxseawolf
04/29/2007, 08:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9841295#post9841295 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DaBenzsta08
I had a pink one for like 2 months feed it twice a day cyclopeez, then it just disintegreated. I still have an orange one that I act[ually saved from the LFS i work at, i dont feed this one nearly as much but its still doing fine. Remember that they are not photosynthetic so they like a very shaded area! ty for your response. i realize this and that is why i put it under a overhang. it did well for 3 months now it lays on its side. mind you it looks healthy but its almost like the stalk cant support the rest. am i not feeding it right or what am i doing wrong? thanks for your reply and any help is appreiciated.

DaBenzsta08
04/29/2007, 08:53 PM
well its gunny because mine does the same thing. I think it honestly just does it because it is a softy almost like a kenya tree where its okay if its not upright. As long as it looks happy and the polpys are open and its upright for food often enough for it to stay alive. Try to target feed it cyclopeez as often as possible see if you get any differences . Also what kind of water flow is it getting?

xxseawolf
04/29/2007, 09:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9841571#post9841571 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DaBenzsta08
well its gunny because mine does the same thing. I think it honestly just does it because it is a softy almost like a kenya tree where its okay if its not upright. As long as it looks happy and the polpys are open and its upright for food often enough for it to stay alive. Try to target feed it cyclopeez as often as possible see if you get any differences . Also what kind of water flow is it getting? right now it is in my 55g(soon tobe in my 135g) and has 700+gph and a powerhead with a hydor which is rated at 210gph(probably 150gph with hydor head on).

xxseawolf
04/29/2007, 09:32 PM
should i hang it upside down? i have seen them in LFS tanks and other tanks that way. thanks for the help.

reefD
04/29/2007, 09:55 PM
first make sure your levels are good. especially nitrates. have you tested lately?

reefD
04/29/2007, 10:04 PM
when you say it looks healthy does the polyps open full?

AS11423
04/29/2007, 10:18 PM
In the reefs, they're typically found hanging sideways and in some cases, mounted upside down even. If you have good polyp extension, do not fret much, try and mount it sideways in maybe a low shaded area and see how it responds. Keep in mind, as mentioned above-- dendronepthyas have a poor survival rate in captivity.

Goodluck.