PDA

View Full Version : 55g Custom Tank Setup

Ilikewater
04/29/2007, 08:13 PM
Hello all!
Well after getting out of the hobby for a couple of years, I am finally able to setup another tank up! This time, however, I know not to spend money on useless equipment and have done and will do a ton of research. I plan to get a custom tank done by Socal Creations, ~ 55 Gallon (36L x 20W x 18H) with eurobracing, external overflow, and four return holes in each corner of the eurobracing.

The overflow will have 2 1" bulkheads. My plan is to have one drain into the return area of the sump and the other to drain into the refiguim and a EuroReef RC80. I don't want to use any powerheads in this system so i want to accomplish all my circulation with the pump in the sump to my four return outlets in the tank.

Mainly, i'm concerned with my plumping concept and if it is a good idea. I have heard I dont want 1200 gph running through refiguim because it would disturb things or make the water level hard to maintain. By directing one overflow drain directly into the return area, I hope to make the refiguim less turbulent. The line going into the refigium could be dialed back as needed and the skimmer would pour into the refigium.

Mainly my questions are, 1) what kind of flow can i expect to get out of the overflow?
2) The dimensions of it are 18L x 4W x 6H (are these good dimensions?)
3) Is my current plumbing plan good?
4) What is the best pump to use to accomplish this? I want the pump to be in sump.

Here is a diagram to help out my description.

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/9625/tankplanstj1.png

I can't wait to start this project and once i get my plan finalized I will put the order in for the tank.

Thanks,
Dylan