PDA

View Full Version : Givin it a go

DamnDamsel
04/29/2007, 08:14 PM
So stopped into the not so LFS today. Came home with a BTA and 2 OC clowns. I know this is not the natural combo but will see how it works. I do not know if they were TR or WC but there was a tank filled with many very close in size.

Always wanted to have a clown with a host but was always a fraid to try and become dissappointed.

In the tank is a yellow tang, Very happy to see that so far he has paid them no mind nor they of him. They fed as soon as they were in teh tank. Always nice to see. The smaller of teh two was doing a lot of gasping but has since mellowed out. As of now they are just hanging in the water column staying close together. The BTA has yet to fully open (did not help that when I "placed" him where i hope he stays he rolled into teh rocks a bit).

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c230/ScramBulleggs/PICT0072-1.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c230/ScramBulleggs/PICT0071.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c230/ScramBulleggs/PICT0073.jpg

GreenPuffers
04/29/2007, 08:40 PM
lots of luck to ya.

DamnDamsel
04/29/2007, 09:08 PM
Thanks will need it:)

Mr Sh0tgun
04/29/2007, 10:00 PM
good luck to you. but i have a question, how much flow do you have in your tank?

flowerkid
04/30/2007, 05:46 AM
full shot? I like ur tank

DamnDamsel
04/30/2007, 07:15 AM
The tank is pretty sparce right now flower. Not much impressive with a full shot.

Flow. I had a lot of flow in the past but electrical issues with teh power company amongst other things have givin me no end of grief with my PH's. ATM I just have a return from sump going through a full length spreader bar.

The pump is a mag drive and I believe it is a 2300 gph. I really lack flow at the upper part of teh tank but I keep telling myself one day I will buy a VorTec HAHA. I don't think that day is ever going to get here. I was thinking about doing aclosed loop with a 1800 gph magdrive i repaired but just been putting it off.

dc
04/30/2007, 08:12 AM
Well good luck with it. My anemone stays right in front of my ph. It seems to like a lot of flow.

GSMguy
04/30/2007, 08:28 AM
you need more flow

DamnDamsel
04/30/2007, 01:00 PM
Guess I better work on some of these old PH's and see what i can get working.

DamnDamsel
04/30/2007, 08:48 PM
So tonight the smaller of the two, less then an inch maybe, keeps slowly letting his tail drift to the anemone. He does not seem near as active as the larger one. The larger one keeps brushing up on the smaller one. Not aggressively seeming.

The small one just does not look great to me. He has been "gasping" a bit since he went in. The larger one does not seem to be doing this at all. Hoping its nothing to get conserned about.

The anemone stopped moving for now and has fully opened and looks good.

JJFly
04/30/2007, 09:59 PM
The gasping is usually an outward sign of some disease effecting the gills. This is not to say he won't fight it off... just as humans fight off diseases all the time.

They'll be in the anemone in a couple more days. They were likely tank raised. WHICH means they need to build up their immunity to the sting. That's the tail dance/brush you are seeing. Once they adjust they'll be hard pressed to come out.

Keep us posted.

DamnDamsel
05/01/2007, 03:36 PM
Just got in from work. The little guy still doesnt look good to me. Almost seems lathargic compared to teh other. At the same time the other one bumps him a bit. not in a seemingly aggressive way but could this just be part of a dominance for female status thing? They both came from a tank with about 20 or so in it.

And ofcourse now they are no where near the anemone hehe.

DamnDamsel
05/03/2007, 03:30 PM
Well somehow the little guy is still alive. But he is in bad shape. Has bumps forming in his gill area. Kinda limited in food choices now might try a little mysis soaked in garlic for him later. The other one looks fine still.

I don't have it in me to take him out and freeze him yet I keep hoping he will recover.

Slakker
05/03/2007, 11:26 PM
Keep an eye on him for a while to see if he recovers, but if he gets any worse transfer him to a QT tank and begin treatment.

Is he eating at all?

DamnDamsel
05/04/2007, 07:22 PM
Well he did not make it. His gills really looked bad when I posted last night. Something had him eating by the time i woke up. The other one looks fine as does the Tang that is in the tank.

He did not appear to be eating to us since he went in. that does not mean he was not getting things when i was not watching.

On a good note the BTA looks really good today. He looked like he was eating something this am could have been the clown. I can not get silversides anywhere near where I am so have been feeding a mix of mysis and some raw scallops. The first time with teh scallop it was way to big and he spit it out (but that made the serpant star happy).

Do you think I will have a problem if I try to get another clown right away? I was thinking both small from day one would be the easiest. So I guess should i get another small one and if so right away?

Slakker
05/05/2007, 03:36 AM
I would wait and watch the other clown. Chances are whatever was affecting the one you lost will start showing up on the other fish.

IMO, the remaining clown should be moved to QT asap.

Sorry to hear he didn't make it :(