PDA

View Full Version : attaching an overflow box to a Powerhead

Steverino
04/29/2007, 09:39 PM
I need some ideas. I have a skimmer that is driven by a MaxiJet 1200 powerhead. The powerhead is attached to it by a rigid downspout. The problem was that the powerhead was not near the surface, it was about 5 inches below, so I shortened the downspout so that it was closer to the surface. I don't yet have a sump on this tank, I am in the process of acquiring a tank and making one. I noticed some surface stuff floating on my water, so I wanted to make a overflow box that would capture the surface water and feed it into the skimmer. I made a frankenstein box out of black acrylic that fits it well, but I need ideas how to attach the box to the skimmer, or to the side of the tank, and to make it semi-adjustable. There is going to be some variation in water level due to evaporation but I try to top it off every 2 days or so. Any ideas?

Der_Iron_Chef
04/30/2007, 12:23 AM
Big mag float magnet cleaners? I read somewhere else how someone attached a homemade "tunze" wavebox to the side of their aquarium using the cleaning magnets.

Just an idea!

Steverino
04/30/2007, 08:50 AM
Speaking of magnets, I can't believe how expensive they are!!! Most are at least $15-20 for a decent sized one.

For this overflow box problem, I was hoping to use zip-strips or some kind of a plastic acrylic rig of some sort, just hoping someone already skinned the cat and was happy with it.

Der_Iron_Chef
04/30/2007, 12:24 PM
Yeah, the mag float ones get pricey. Especially if you're buying multiples for a project like this. What about getting a few of those less expensive ones? The ones that don't float (they come with a string or something ghetto like that!).

shyland83
04/30/2007, 02:02 PM
I know fluval and eheim make surface extractors made for their canister filters, might be worth trying. Much easier anyway.

Worldwithin
04/30/2007, 02:07 PM
CPR Arqatics makes a decent surface skimmer box that basically is a box the fits around your pump and has a teflon screw that goes through the box body and presses up against the pump. Loosen the screw to adjust the box, and then tighten it once adjusted. Pretty simple actually.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CR1123

:fish1::hammer: