PDA

View Full Version : Return Pump Help

coolkidtr
04/30/2007, 09:15 AM
Hi guys, I need some help. My 600 gallon system (400 gallon display and 200 gallon sump) has been running for about 6 months. I have been running a Manta Ray as a return pump since then as I am dealing with about 20 feet of head teeing of my refugium,chiller and UV sterilizer from this pump. I tried using a hammerhead but it was not powerful enough. It would run well but was unable to restart in the event of a power failure as it would get an air lock. The Manta Ray runs well but is pouring way too much heat in the system and my chiller is working more often then I would like. The Manta Ray also draws a lot of juice. When I approached Sequence with my sitaution they suggested I plumb two hammerheads together. I am not too keen on this idea. I asked roger about Tunze's electrical recirculating pump with about 28 feet of head but I don't know if it will be powerful enough to deal with all the teeing off. What is everybody using for there big systems? Any help or suggestions would be helpful. Some have suggested the sequence 5800, I was under the impression that is has the same flow/pressure capabilities as the hammerhead. Please help.

Thanks in advance

Tony:smokin: :smokin:

DrHank
04/30/2007, 05:14 PM
I'm no expert but it would seem to me that if the hammerhead was running without problems except for developing an air lock upon power failure you may want to look into the input line to the pump. If the output from the sump is higher than the input line to the pump, it should offset any air drawn in by the pump output line if power fails. I'd look into either lowering the pump or elevating the sump. Either way, you want to make sure that the pump doesn't loose it's prime when the power is off. JMHO. Good Luck.

coolkidtr
04/30/2007, 05:27 PM
Thanks Doc, the pump is well below the sump. The problem was the pump could not pump up to the display after a power failure because of all the teeing off. It was unable to pump up to the display.I will most likely go back to the hammerhead and tighten up my teeing off as to minimize any unnecessary losses. The 850 watts of the Manta Ray is starting to hurt. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks

Tony:(