PDA

View Full Version : LR rubbles vs. Bio-media? Chaeto?

Reefmack
04/30/2007, 05:36 PM
My Red Sea Max nano has been set up for a while with the supplied carbon bag and a ceramic bio-media bag in the back filter compartment, below 2 powerheads (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10 nitrate). I'm confused on the advantages of replacing the bio-media with LR rubble. I've been given the impression in RC that the LR rubble wouldn't be the nitrate factory that bio-media becomes, but I'm not sure why? Don't they both do the same thing as far as converting ammonia & nitrite to nitrate? Or does the LR rubble do something to the nitrate as well? That section in the back of the tank isn't lighted as would be a sump or refugium.

I also assume that with no light in the back that chaeto wouldn't survive in that back compartment? If I put cheato in the tank would it take over the tank plus look like heck?

Thanks

Reefmack
05/01/2007, 05:00 AM
bump

ThePhytoMan
05/01/2007, 12:13 PM
I didnt read the whole thing, but chaeto will not take over. It stays clumped, at least IME.

It does need light, though. Just keep it in the middle chamber.

Reefmack
05/10/2007, 01:14 PM
Still looking for an answer on the LR rubble. My nitrates have gone down to 5 now - maybe it's the filtration of LR in the tank kicking in? I also have a bag of rubble now sitting in my unlighted back filtration compartment, along with the original ceramic bio-media. Is there a real advantage to LR rubble over the bio-media in an unlighted situation, or would I be better to just gradually remove both and watch my ammonia levels to see if the LR in the tank can handle the ammonia & nitrite? Under unlighted conditions will the LR rubble also be the nitrate factory that bio-media is, or will the LR rubble do something to drop the nitrate without light? Or, is a macroalgae like chaeto the only way to drop nitrate levels? Thanks.