PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever setup a Tide Pool Tank?

Inflames
04/30/2007, 05:39 PM
Is it possible?

woz9683
04/30/2007, 06:23 PM
A real tide pool is just a body of water created by the ocean filling some hole during high tide, and then receding away from it during low tide leaving a separate body of water. Is that what you want to create?

gabegmonkey
04/30/2007, 07:51 PM
I guess that in the strictest sense, all reef tanks ARE tidal pool tanks...

Inflames
04/30/2007, 08:44 PM
What i meant was semi exposed rocks with alternating tides via a surge device.

Daemonfly
04/30/2007, 11:43 PM
I've seen it done in public aquariums (One near Cincinatti). I could only get a view of it from the public side, but from what I could see, all water dumped through openings in the left side wall, then surged over rocks built up to the right side. Worked pretty well, and they had lots of little critters (crabs, etc..) that would get washed up & into tiny mini-pools.

Shouldn't be too hard to adapt one of the popular surge designs to only surge into one side of a tank, and at increased volume. I'd also make sure the tank walls can handle the pressure from the water surging that hard. I'd say your rockswould need to be connected/epoxied together so nothing would crash into the glass.

BenjieC
05/01/2007, 05:30 AM
www.Rods-reef.com has one a display tank in his store. I believe it is about a 125 and just has a pane of glass separating the tank 1/4 and 3/4. Then he has 4 surges on the tank one that will go into the tide pool and the other 3 into the reef part. Contact Rod for more details. In the Chicago area, we consider him our local pro. He's very knowledgable and a great guy besides.