PDA

View Full Version : Damages LPS? How to fix?

amutti
04/30/2007, 06:56 PM
Hi all. New to this type of lps. The LFS didn't know what it was, but I thought it needed a new home so I bought it. Once in the quarantine tank I noticed that some of the ridges had turned semi-transparent. Not knowing what to do I lowered it a little (now sits lower-middle, polyps facing out, under 260w cf 50/50 lights) and feed it cyclopsezze and mysis every other night. Seems to be getting better, color is returning after 1.5 weeks of this treatment.

Any other ideas? I really like this one . . . it glows great under actinics. I've attached a few pics, hopefully they help!

Tony

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/518/140238DSCN0016.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/518/140238DSCN0018.jpg

Caleb Kruse
04/30/2007, 08:16 PM
i dont know whats wrong with it, but that is a beautiful coral.

acroporas
04/30/2007, 09:05 PM
Yea, I don't really see anything wrong/to worry about. But I want to know what it is and where I can get one? Awsome coral.

amutti
05/01/2007, 06:41 AM
IF this grows then I will probably frag it at some point. The 'problem' is the discolored skin in the lower 1/2 of the polyp in the close-up. Also in the other image, in the upper left, you can see some skeleton. The tissue recession has happened while I've had it.

Maybe I'm just being nervous? Wait and see.

BTW, the coral is normally more orange and a little blue. Under just dual spectrum actinic it gets this wild coloring.

Tony

amutti
05/03/2007, 06:35 AM
HELP! This is definitely receding from the edges. What would cause this? Still opening a night and feeding? What can I try to fix?

Water is good:
salinity 1.025
ph 8.3
kh 12
calcium 460
phosphate 0
nitrate less than 10ppm
nitrite & ammonia 0

Lighting:
260w CF (2x 65w 10k, 2x 65w 460/420 actinic)

Position: lower middle, polyps facing out
Water Flow: Moderate, intermittent

Other Corals near it: Star Polyps and zoos . . . nothing even close to touching it.

Problem: The tissue on the top edges of the plate are receding and exposing skeleton.

It has only receded a little, but it gets worse each day. I want to correct the problem asap.

Thanks for any help!!!!!

Tony

elegance coral
05/03/2007, 06:42 AM
Looks like an infection to me. i would try an iodine based dip and pray. I normaly frag my corals if they start this to stop the infection, but yours is in the middle of the coral. I'm not sure what else you could do. Dosn't look good.

amutti
05/03/2007, 06:58 AM
I have Kent Marine - Tech D. Would you recommend anything else? Perhaps mix an antibiotic into some food?

ReefDoctorMicromussas
05/03/2007, 08:32 AM
Elegance has the immediate solution... Frag off the area well around the infection... Lugols dip both pieces and then wait

amutti
05/10/2007, 08:25 PM
Found a snail eating this coral!!!!!!! Top edge recession was growing back till tonight. Now the snail is dead.

The snail was all white with a sharp, slender white shell.

Hopefully the death of the snail causes my LPS to live!!!

acroporas
05/10/2007, 08:52 PM
Glad you caught the culpret. The best of luck with that awsome coral.