PDA

View Full Version : want your opinions on my powerhead placement and timer sequence.

markush
04/30/2007, 08:49 PM
This is a 90 gallon and for circulation I have about 400GPH from my overflow return and for pumps i have two Koralia #2's and two #3's.

I can run these pumps on 4 individual digital timers and this is the sequence i came up with. Let me know if I over complicated this.

Each pump will run for one hour then be off for 45 minutes and goes like this.

#1 on at 1:00 #2 on at 1:15 #3 on at 1:30 #4 on at 1:45.
All 4 will be running for 15 minutes before they start to cycle off in the same order.
#1 off at 2:00 #2 off at 2:15 #3 off at 2:30 #4 off at 2:45. then starting all over with #1 coming on as #4 goes off.

This is a top down veiw but looking at it now it could also be a head on veiw :)
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j157/markush2/powerhead.jpg

I can do a complete 24 cycle like this and have a night period which would be #2 and 4 turning off with #1 and #3 on a constant on cycle for about 10 hours.

Before you say just get a wave maker, I can do this for about $70 in timers. Please also comment on my placment. The angles in my "art" are true to what i was planning.

nicolicious
04/30/2007, 09:03 PM
ive never seen anyone attempt flow like that. im going to be watching this post to see what others think....i dont know much, Kind of a newbie...but the idea is really thinking out of the fishtank...

BryanJ
05/01/2007, 08:56 AM
These pumps were not dersigned to be turned on and off. As a matter of fact I believe Hydor issued some type of warning not to place them on a timer. I have a #4 and I know it rattles like crazy at start up I would hate to see what would happen after a month of on and offs.

markush
05/01/2007, 12:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9852164#post9852164 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BryanJ
These pumps were not dersigned to be turned on and off. As a matter of fact I believe Hydor issued some type of warning not to place them on a timer. I have a #4 and I know it rattles like crazy at start up I would hate to see what would happen after a month of on and offs.

Thanks for the warning... I am aware that for any motor starting and stopping is the worst thing you can do to it. The rattles you talk about are caused from it starting in the wrong direction then correcting itself. So yes, running them with my Wavemaster Pro was not going to work for me...it was quite noisy. So I came up with the digital timer idea. I have been running one of my pumps on a timer like this for the last week and for some reason i have not once heard it start up in the wrong direction. Dumb luck? Probably, but even if every pump rattled every time it started, it would only be every 15 minutes so i can deal with that.

Anyone have any thoughts about my positioning, amount of flow, and timer sequencing?

markush
05/02/2007, 04:50 PM
bump