PDA

View Full Version : Iwaki MD70RLT Pump

nss9400
05/01/2007, 01:40 AM
I am considering a used one for my system I know they are great pumps but how loud are they? because the guy I am buying it from said it was too loud for his aquarium application, so I am not sure if thats normal or there is something wrong with the pump? Anyone have one and can tell me if thats normal or not. Thanks.

noodles9987
05/01/2007, 06:12 AM
If the motor is new, it will be a bit loud. However after a few weeks, these motors tend to quiet down a little bit. I think thats true for most motors.

You should be aware that any motor is going to create some noise. Its not possible to get away without having some noise. And, the larger the motor, the greater the sound level that will come out of it.

With that said, it may not be the amount of noise that the Iwaki is creating. It may be the pitch of the noise that is causing the problem. I currently use a pan world 1100 gph pump as my main return pump and an Iwaki 20 rlt as a transfer pump. I chose the pan world, because they are quieter than the Iwaki's. I.E., the pitch is lower and so they don't sound so loud. My last Iwaki was a 55 RLT and I have to say that the pan world is a quieter pump.

If you are buying the Iwaki pump used, it may be worth having as a spare if you don't like it. It's not a bad idea to have a back up pump anyway. So, my suggestion is to purchase the pump and if you can't live with the "noise", then replace it. I would then keep it in case your main pump should fail down the road.

Hope this helps.

nss9400
05/01/2007, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the info.