PDA

View Full Version : Flatworm Exit Question?

Bacchus_fl
05/01/2007, 10:32 AM
I had a pretty bad flatworm problem, the clear kind, and have tried for months to siphon them out with little progress. I even added a "flatworm eater" Sixline Wrasse. As a last resort I turned to Saliferts Flat Worm exit, with a complete understanding of the risk involved.

I followed the direction to the T. I siphoned off as many as I could, then dosed properly, then stood there for about 3 hours waiting to siphon off any dead flatworms. It took longer than I expected but it did seem to work great. I did a 25% water change right after words and figured I was good to go.

Unfortunately it cost me a Sailfin tang and I suspect a Sixline wrasse since I haven't seen him for about 24 hours ( I know they hide sometimes but it is unusual for him) All 7 other fish are fine.

Shortly after dosing my sailfin had something hanging from him, approx 2" long, as if he relieved himself but it didn't seperate. It stayed there the rest of the day and I even noticed it before I went to bed.

My question is whether this might have been a worm hanging from the Sailfin? And if the consumption of flatworms by the sixline might have caused him to die? I am just confused on how those 2 would die but not the others. Is it possible that they had worms that died inside them becuase of the flatworm exit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Billybeau1
05/01/2007, 01:51 PM
Bummer about the Sailfin. :(

You may want to post the same question in the Reef Discussion forum. Many more reefers there will have input for you, I'm sure. :)

bertoni
05/01/2007, 04:57 PM
Those fish might have been more susceptible to the toxins released by the flatworms, as one possible explanation. How much carbon did you use?

Bacchus_fl
05/02/2007, 06:56 PM
I used a full pound of Kent Carbon.

It is just suprising to see these 2 fish die and none of the others even be slightly stressed.