PDA

View Full Version : May be an SPS ID?

gflat65
05/01/2007, 05:26 PM
I got something from a LFS recently that was labeled as Monti digitata. Obviously not digitata. The growth form is very similar, but it has no actual polyps that I have seen. The skin kind of looks like something I've seen on a sponge before. Imagine a hotdog that has split open while being cooked for an idea of the texture. I broke my camera and only have the phone on my camera, so the only pic I have is a blurry shot of the structure. I think I've heard of something like Dichto os Stichto something or another, maybe. I flipped through Corals of the World and couldn't find anything (but didn't spend hours flipping, so I might have missed it). Any ideas? No 'conventional' polyps *coralite or actual polyp), hard structure, was covered in blue asterinas and had a few flatworms that perfectly matched the color of the coral in the water (out of water they were noticeable)-if that helps. If can I can find some sort of camera that can get a macro-ish shot, I will post a close up.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c131/gflat65/ATT00124.jpg

Solitaryensis
05/01/2007, 05:29 PM
Looks like a fire coral

acrodave
05/01/2007, 05:34 PM
yup fire coral low light and low water flow i have been burned by one so dont touch it when the polyps are out

Amphiprion
05/01/2007, 05:52 PM
Not fire coral, but related. It is a hydrocoral of some sort, maybe a Distichopora spp.

gflat65
05/03/2007, 05:32 PM
Distichopora. That's what I was looking for... Thanks Amphiprion. I'll go look at some pics and see what I think.