PDA

View Full Version : starting a 75 gal. salt water

susz
05/01/2007, 05:50 PM
I just wanted to know if anyone had any good info. I have readseverl books, magazines, I am aquainting mysefl with the products.I planned to start very slow, and work my way up to my ultimate goal- coral reef. I am hoping this outlet will also help me.I am planning on using 4-6 lbs of live rock pre gal, deciding on a really good protien skimmer, use hang on the back filteraion, and 2-3 inches on live sand. I also trying to deside the best lights for my project. thanks

rkelman
05/01/2007, 05:58 PM
4-6 Lbs per gallon? Are you planning to have any water in this tank? :)

jiterati
05/01/2007, 06:02 PM
If you are starting from scratch don't use hang on back filtration, get a drilled tank and use a sump. It makes things much easier, works better and looks nicer. You should use around 1.5 lbs of liverock per gallon, not 4-6 lbs.

petoonia
05/01/2007, 06:07 PM
Here is a good link with alot of info for beginners.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1031074

1-2 lbs of live rock is all you need. 4-6 lbs per gallon would be way too much, and would be very expensive!!!! I agree with having a sump on the tank as well. It is so much easier to work with, and gives you added water volume. I also suggest having a refugium as well. There is a lot to learn about this hobby, and reef central is a great place to learn.

Good luck, and.......

[welcome]

h2o_wizzard
05/01/2007, 09:42 PM
I will add to suggestion box for a refugium. I have a 75 gallon tank with a 30 gallon refugium for the added volume and a good place to put all the equipment out of site. Lighting is covered by two 175 watt MH's and a couple of actnics to go with them. HTH

sgallagher7
05/02/2007, 08:12 AM
Congrats and welcome. I have a 75 AGA that im starting up as we speak. Did six months of research and purchasing. If your satarting from scratch get the pre drilled tank with a sump. Keeping all the equiptment under the tank is great and it keeps the tank looking pure with very few things to see other than rock, corals and fish. I have pics in my gallery of my setup if you are interested.

BTW, ask as many questions as you want. No question is dumb, and the members here are great! Everything I have learned has been throught this site.