PDA

View Full Version : lighting question for 90 gal RR

barngeatbayman
05/01/2007, 07:31 PM
As of right now I am planning a 90 gallon RR FOWLR with sump/refugium. Tank will be standard size 48.5"x18.5"x25". I can see myself doing some corals in the future and would like to get a light that is better than just a strip light, but good enough where I could support some frags, zoas, and maybe a clam.

I was looking at the Current Satellitte lite 48" (4) 65 watt, 2-dual daylight/2 dual actinic and 2 lunar lights. Is this a good light for what i am looking to do? If not how about the Current Orbit or Orbit extreme with the 96 watt or 130 watt bulbs.

I am a newbie when it comes to corals.

thanks in advance
Larry

eddie c
05/01/2007, 08:00 PM
i would skip using power compacts and go with t5's, also the clam will require alot of light, so if you get t5's get ones with individual reflectors they will give you more bang for the buck i would invest now in a good set of lights so you don't have to upgrade later, you could also think about a mh/t5 combo i like aquatinics but there are others out there.
http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=28_111_112

barngeatbayman
05/01/2007, 08:06 PM
Eddie thanks for the reply I forgot to mention I am opposed to MH's because I have 3 small children and am concerned about the safety factor

Love to hear other opinions!!!!!!

db_triggerfish
05/01/2007, 08:19 PM
i just purchased 2 x 250w MH for a 90g and i have small kids. What safety factor? Concern.

Thanks,

barngeatbayman
05/01/2007, 08:29 PM
safety concerns 1 heat from fixture possible burn. 2 possibility that kids get bulbs wet and they explode. 3. damage to their eyes from staring up at the lights.

I think that covers it for me

db_triggerfish
05/01/2007, 09:19 PM
barngeatbayman, i got the generic aqualight from aquatraders the first time i turn them on i backed off myself because you see the gases or what not moving inside the mh bulb. My unit does have a thick glass splash and uv shield. I don't have the tank yet but will monitor it once tank is up. Heck if the new ati T5 units where here in the US already i would get them.
THANKS,

Getting back on topic, eddie c is correct don't get Power Compacts would it will cost you much more in the long run because the majority of corals in this hobby like more not less light.

Henry Bowman
05/01/2007, 09:57 PM
Go back to the aquarium specialty website and look through the T5's. They carry aquactinics fixtures. I have one on a 90 and it's great. If I did it all over again, I'd still buy the aquactinics T5 light set up.

barngeatbayman
05/02/2007, 05:27 PM
thanks Henry

I would like to hear some more opinions please!!