PDA

View Full Version : Sumps and reugium which one

sailfish2
05/01/2007, 08:49 PM
Alright guys this may be a bit long. Have a 20g and 75g and the 75 set up about 1.5 yers it is not drilled and it is really going well. I just upgraded my lights to mh and have some money I was wanting to spend on the hobby.

Dilemma where and how to spend it. long-term goal 110g or 120 reef. I have limited room for tank 60” long would like only 18 to 20 wide. It will back up to a closet were I will have sump/ref and all other equipment about 8’ long 5 wide. I hope to purchase tank buy the end of the year.

I was going to buy small tank like 40 to 50g set up to contain and grow everything I am having to take out of my tank, or start purchasing stuff for the new larger tank.

I was looking at getting a sump, refugium, or combination of both. Problem concerned about power outages without a drilled tank. Then with added water volume I believe I would need a larger skimmer and can’t afford both now. I have Aqua C remora.

I have thought about buying and building one have not decided. It does not seem that building one is going to save me much money. Any experience here would be great.
Look around and what looks appealing is the

mega flow sump #4 36”x13x19 and take out bio balls $269
CPR refugium large or small 36x12x16 or 32x12x14.5 $389 or $449
Sump 36x 14x 16= $289 not sure by who.
None of these seem to have great bubble traps and the cpr has no micron sock but has a skimmer.

Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated. What and or who makes a good sump? Any one local make them? Rough estimate of DIY?

I would love to have a calcium reactor but need a sump put it in from what I gather.

Thanks for the help

chase33
05/01/2007, 09:08 PM
Sump 36x 14x 16= $289?

40g breeder $75
4 baffles approx. 14w x 9h $35
Silicone $9
Build it yourself and save $170.

1 section should be big enough to house your skimmer.

Next install the three baffles spaced 1" apart. The second should be raised 1" off the bottom.

Split the remaining length between the last two sections with the last baffle seperating them. One is you fuge and the other your return section housing your return pump and plumbing. My fuge happens to be in the third section.

You can get other ideas here:
http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

Tony44
05/01/2007, 09:27 PM
Another way to save a few bucks is to look on classifieds, there are alot of people trying to get rid of 55s, 29s, 75s, etc, just sitting in there garage collecting dust. Just a few weeks ago I bought a 55 for $20. I would recommend looking in the paper, craigslist, and maybe even Ebay. I dont see any reason to spend money on a brand new good looking tank, when it will be used as a sump.

Good Luck.

chase33
05/01/2007, 10:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9857721#post9857721 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tony44
Another way to save a few bucks is to look on classifieds, there are alot of people trying to get rid of 55s, 29s, 75s, etc, just sitting in there garage collecting dust. Just a few weeks ago I bought a 55 for $20. I would recommend looking in the paper, craigslist, and maybe even Ebay. I dont see any reason to spend money on a brand new good looking tank, when it will be used as a sump.

Good Luck. Agreed

Joe
05/02/2007, 07:02 AM
"Another way to save a few bucks is to look on classifieds"

I'm always leery of "deals" on used equipment such as tanks. You never know if copper or other medications have leeched into the tanks, even if people tell you they've never used any meds. in their tanks.

I'll stick with "new" equipment. JMHO.

Joe

luke33
05/02/2007, 10:02 AM
And don't rule out rubbermaid sump's if its hidden. I have two 40g rubbermaid's connected under my tank. One 40g fuge and the other a sump and skimmer, no microbubble problem and its not seen by visitors. Cost was 30bux for the fuge/sump with all teh bulkheads and hose and tubing.