PDA

View Full Version : HLLE cure & prevention

REEFRHEAD
05/01/2007, 09:16 PM
Hey all i was just wondering if there was a way to prevent hlle or is there a way to cure it at all yet? the reason why i ask is because i have 2 tangs in hypo right now and my blue hippos colors are faded around the eyes and a little on the head line area but doesnt creep back towards the tail far. now i know that color loss is normal while still early in the killing ick completely stage, so im not too worried about the color faded but im a little paranoid about the faded area possible turning into hlle which would be a fear of mine ;) of course like all of us. and of course i feed them twice a day brine and mysis and i also add some green algae sheet in the middle of the day. should i use fresh lettuce? any ideas of facts would be greatly appreciated ;)

andrewsmart
05/02/2007, 03:40 PM
soak some of the algae sheets in zoecon and some in selcon.

it is all about good diet and a varied diet.

some formula 2 is good as well.

REEFRHEAD
05/02/2007, 05:26 PM
Awesome thanks for the info andrew yes i figured it had something to do with thier algae diet ;) and this can even slowly cure hlle huh ;)

TerryB
05/02/2007, 09:36 PM
Here is part one of three articles.

http://www.marineaquariumadvice.com/hypothesis_head_lateral_line_erosion.html

Terry B

REEFRHEAD
05/03/2007, 12:31 AM
thanks terry as always great info ;)

REEFRHEAD
05/07/2007, 08:56 PM
ok well i read all of the information that i cae find. and nwo im soaking my fresh new food grade nori with a food booster thats 25% zoe 25% garlic and i forget the other 2 things but its good. i will be getting straight zoecon asap also. and ive been feeding the 2 tangs this atleast once a day maybe more they love it of course and the blue tangs has just started tog et back its intesnse blue but around the eyes and a little more its still faded looking so im keeping my fingers crossed ;) any other help would be appreciated though of course. but another question can hypo possible cause HLLE? because the tang was fine for weeks at the store but when i put him into hypo and went through a decent ick out break it faded and now is showing the early early signs of hlle and im trying my hardest to prevent this

TerryB
05/07/2007, 09:01 PM
I have not noticed any correlation between HLLE and hypo, but I have with copper. Preventing HLLE is actually one of the reasons that I prefer hypo over copper treatment.

Terry B

REEFRHEAD
05/07/2007, 11:38 PM
interesting well i guess we will see how he pulls through it. also do you think i should maybe keep him in quarantine with the HLLE? even after the 6 weeks is over for hypo?? I know that he will be alot more happy in my huge 220 with all that live rock to graze off of ya know.now also i dont know if the fish was exposed to copper in the water from the lfs so i guess it could be a number of things. but i will keep everyone informed also any other help would be great thanks all

TerryB
05/07/2007, 11:50 PM
I don't consider HLLE to be contagious. However, similar species tend to suffer with it when they share the same conditions and diet.

Terry B

REEFRHEAD
05/08/2007, 12:07 AM
Well the hippo tang is in his own species and my purple tang that is in there with him as much better color and all his faded areas have gone away i do see a little darker spots around his head though but hes still in the qt in hypo and just started the extra added boost alage sheets in his regimin ;) the purple tang had the bright yellow fins and the darker purple lines running along his whole body like he should have being that he is a red sea purple ;)