PDA

View Full Version : live rock

maynardjames
05/01/2007, 11:02 PM
adding 22# of percured premium figi rock from liveaquaria. should i just follow their directions or is there a better way. going to recure before adding to tank per instructions. all other rock bought at lfs ready to go in tank . most was not high quality rock. hoping shipment coming is..........................any advice?

demonsp
05/01/2007, 11:04 PM
Any stock and how old is tank?

sir_dudeguy
05/01/2007, 11:05 PM
Are you just starting your tank? If so, there shouldnt be anything living in there (besides whatever might come on the rock) so it doesnt matter if you put the rock straight in your tank or not. So if you're just starting, i'd just putting it straight in your tank....it will cycle on its own.

maynardjames
05/01/2007, 11:06 PM
yes . fish, inverts & shrooms

maynardjames
05/01/2007, 11:08 PM
tank started last november 2006

demonsp
05/01/2007, 11:11 PM
OK if this is fully cured there instuctions will be fine. A smell test of each rock will help. It will smell like amonia if not cured and the more it smells the less its cured. With stock you need fully cured or you may loose all stock. If you dont recure yourself.

Blown 346
05/02/2007, 05:29 AM
I agree with above, dont be afraid to smell the rock. With shipment there will be die off since the rock is only wrapped in wet news paper. It would be best IMO to place the rock in a seperate container curing vat befor it goes in the main tank. I have ordered rock from there and had some crabs that I didnt want that came with the rock. I now do this for a precaution.

Mirage2521
05/02/2007, 03:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9858400#post9858400 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by demonsp
OK if this is fully cured there instuctions will be fine. A smell test of each rock will help. It will smell like amonia if not cured and the more it smells the less its cured. With stock you need fully cured or you may loose all stock. If you dont recure yourself.

To continue with this line of logic.........My 60lbs of rock from etropical had ZERO smell, I expected some smell. Does this mean there was little or no die-off? It's been curing 2 weeks now. My brand new test kits says 0 nitrites....lfs test kits says there is a tiny smidge of nitrite.

maynardjames
05/02/2007, 10:03 PM
received rock today. put in container with 2 power heads & heater. they suggest 100% water changes twice weekly. long way to lfs for r/o water. don`t have my own ro unit yet. can 100% be cut back a little to save gas money? if all detris is removed. would 50% work? would like to know how e tropicals rock turns out. thanks for the replys