PDA

View Full Version : Do you QT new Fish? Wild Fish?

saltman123
05/01/2007, 11:34 PM
I was wondering if everyong Quarantine's their new fish before putting them into their tanks???

There is a pet store a little ways away and every time I go there they have new shipments coming in and are selling fish like crazy. The sales guy told me that most of their fish are wild caught and they usually sell them pretty fast.

I've heard people suggest waiting around the store, or putting down a deposit on a fish before buying. I am talking more about wild fish that aren't in the store too long.

Would you QT a wild fish? If so, would you do any copper treatements or just put them in the QT and watch for ich, etc?

Any info on how you handle new fish, and wild fish appreciated.

pledosophy
05/01/2007, 11:48 PM
I would QT any fish or coral before it goes into my tank. The risk of infection is just to great to compromise my existing stock. I even Qt snails.

For fish a lower salinity is good, although I personally do not use any treatment unless a problem is shown.

saltman123
05/01/2007, 11:52 PM
So do you basically just keep them in QT to check for regular activity, and that no ich or anything else shows up? How long do you leave them in QT before putting them in your display tank? 2 or 3 weeks?

pledosophy
05/02/2007, 12:01 AM
6 week min. Ich is not the only concern. Way easier to treat a fish in QT then try to treat your entire tank.

xenon
05/02/2007, 12:15 AM
Try and take a fish out of your display if there is a problem. Totally impossible!

I learned the hard way so l QT everything that is WET!

Yes that means everything, even snails. lol

My niger trigger I got a few days ago was covered in flukes. It was easy to treat him and I am so glad he was in QT.

I would say 60% of everything I buy from my LFS's there is some type of issue that needs to be dealt with.

saltman123
05/02/2007, 12:29 AM
So unless I see a problem it sounds like it is smart to just leave the fish in there to be safe.

Any specifics to look out for? I know what ich looks like from pictures. Any other specifics that are common?

How about Shrimp? How long do you QT cleaners and peppermint for?

kfowler
05/02/2007, 06:13 AM
Read the Oct or Nov 2004 issue of RC Mag. It'll tell you everything you need to know.

RBU1
05/02/2007, 09:44 AM
Just buy fish from fellow reefers....NO QT needed.......

alan214
05/02/2007, 09:56 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9860342#post9860342 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RBU1
Just buy fish from fellow reefers....NO QT needed.......

I'm going to have to disagree with you. Ich can lie "dormant" in a fellow reefer's tank for quite a while.

MTB
05/02/2007, 10:00 AM
Depends on the fish. I do not QT Mandarins. There slime coat prevent them from getting disese. It is a good idea to QT everything. I won't lie, I don't QT anything. My LFSs hold fish for weeks in the back room until they prove to be free of parasites and such. You can still see what they got back there and purchase from those tanks. They advise to continue the QT at home.

RBU1
05/02/2007, 10:37 AM
Well that is a chance I am willing to take. QTing is to much of a pain to me and the fish. I have almost killed fish in QT. I would rather put them in my main tank and let them fend for themselves instead of me killing them in QT. The proper way to run a QT is to have the water quality just as good as your main tank. That in my opinion is almost impossible. You will have PH issues and possible ammonia issues from overfeeding. It is more trouble then it is worth. This is just my opinion. You are going to get several opinions on QTing fish.

MTB
05/02/2007, 11:21 AM
Agreed RBU1. I don't have the room to leave a 29gal QT up a running all the time. They need to stay up or it will have to cycle every time you set it up.

vanmo92
05/02/2007, 11:35 AM
I don't quarantine, right now I don't even have anymore room for even a 10g. But I am particular to look for diseases in fish stores. I have gotten fish in and have them break out in ich, none of the other fish ever got it (probably because of the UV) and within a few days to a week it was all cleared up. I would probably do it but when I get a new fish I don't like the Idea of not really being able to see it in my tank for 6-8 weeks. I have not ever had problems with this, and if I do I will probrably set one up for every fish I get from that point on.

alan214
05/02/2007, 12:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9860691#post9860691 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RBU1
Well that is a chance I am willing to take. QTing is to much of a pain to me and the fish. I have almost killed fish in QT. I would rather put them in my main tank and let them fend for themselves instead of me killing them in QT. The proper way to run a QT is to have the water quality just as good as your main tank. That in my opinion is almost impossible. You will have PH issues and possible ammonia issues from overfeeding. It is more trouble then it is worth. This is just my opinion. You are going to get several opinions on QTing fish.

Understood and that's your choice. I just didn't want saltman123 to think that buying/trading fish from fellow reefers would make him immune from Ich or other diseases.