PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Yellow Tang question

Ryan009
05/02/2007, 05:53 PM
So my 210g has been cycled and my 300#'s of LR is cured.

I'm in the middle of that brown powdery alage outbreak that's a light dusting over everything.

I added a Yellow Tang this week and instead of the Green sheet alage (seems like he could care less about it), he seems to be having a blast swimming around and using his body to kick-up the brown alage off the rocks and sand and eat that.

Is this normal?

woodycb
05/02/2007, 06:31 PM
Tangs have all sorts of cool personalities. If he is eating let him be. I have a brisle tooth tang that likes to hang around my cleaner shrimp, so when the cleaner shrimp kicks up detritus from the live rock the tang starts feasting. And he is a pig.

t5Nitro
05/02/2007, 08:56 PM
I would say he is itching on the sand and rocks. If he is using his body and do a quick swipe, I would think he is itching, possibly ich? If he is turning around and eating whatever kicks up, then maybe he is doing it for food. Try soaking the food/algae in garlic xtreme if you can, supposedly it entices a fish to eat and boost their immune system.

Ryan009
05/02/2007, 09:02 PM
I'll try the Garlic but when he does his swipe, he never acutally touches the rock or sand. He just uses the wave from him swipe to kick stuff up then he turns around and eats it.

Aquarist007
05/03/2007, 07:00 AM
this is perfectly normal behaviour for my yellow and blue tang. but for preventative measures it is best to keep a couple of cleaner shrimps with tangs