PDA

View Full Version : Binghamton Zoo Project

drbronx
05/02/2007, 08:29 PM
This thread is to keep folks informed regarding the progress of the zoo project as well as to solicit input and ideas. Sofar a few of us have met with zoo officials and scoped out the site which so far appears to be able to meet the needs of a 180 gallon mixed reef aquarium as well as a smaller tank which the zoo would like to house sea horses and pipefish. There has been a huge oupouring of enthusiasm and stated interest and pledges to provide time, knowledge and other resources (including monetary and livestock) to this project. The next step is to more precisely decide on needed equipment and materials and to begin to solicit donated or reduced priced products from $RC aqnd other vendors. I will bring official zoo letterheads to the frag meet and folks can decide who they would like to correspond to. All written requests in the name of the zoo need to be passed through Michael Janis, Binghamton Zoo Executive Director for his counter signature. We'll meet this weekend to decide where letters could be directed. See y'all saturday.

Blugobi
05/02/2007, 08:31 PM
See you there

zanclus
05/02/2007, 09:12 PM
Excellent Jerry see you on sat.

puter
05/03/2007, 01:19 AM
Just wanted to wish you guys luck with the zoo project. It can be a very rewarding way to give back to the community.

Mark

drbronx
05/03/2007, 05:09 AM
Thanks a lot Mark for your excellent recent advice. I am sure that we will need to continue to "go to the well" from time to time and tap your knowledge and experience. Thanx in advance for indulging us. Please feel free to follow our zoo project threads and put in your "two cents" whenever you'd like. For those here who may not be aware, Mark has spearheaded the Seneca Zoo (Rochester) tank project which has helped pave the way for our humble venture.

nwrogers
05/03/2007, 06:22 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9866372#post9866372 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by puter
Just wanted to wish you guys luck with the zoo project. It can be a very rewarding way to give back to the community.

Mark

Thanks Mark! We are hoping that this project goes well and that all of the people that see it really enjoy it. Thanks for the support!! :)

drbronx
05/06/2007, 08:25 PM
I just composed a letter to Ice cap requesting sufficient equipment to run up to eight 36" t-5 bulbs. I will also write to ASM for a skimmer and possibly Motionocean (suggested by Blugobi) for a four way closed loop system. I first have to pass correspondences by Mike Janis (Executive Director) for his counter signature. We'll see what happens. Any other ideas of who to write to for donated or reduced price equipment are welcome. If anybody would like Zoo letterhead let me know but then either send the letter to me or directly to Mike Janice before sending it to the vendor.

Blugobi
05/07/2007, 06:07 PM
DR.B I spoke with OM today...sent you a PM with the paticulars....

Geo

drbronx
05/07/2007, 06:29 PM
Thanx George. Sounds like an interesting prospect. Perhaps folks can check out the 4 way closed loop system and Sequence Dart at
http://www.oceansmotions.com/store/index.php?osCsid=a5b0f1c7f0f11157bc1492d9281657bf&osCsid=a5b0f1c7f0f11157bc1492d9281657bf
We can discuss this further at Johns house

Piazzon12
05/07/2007, 08:26 PM
how about a major supplement supplier like SeaChem? or even salt supplier?

drbronx
05/09/2007, 07:39 PM
Very good idea Piazzon! I didn't even think of that yet. Myu initial focus is on obtaining the more expensive items that we'll need for start up but then definitely, we can pursue that.

drbronx
05/09/2007, 08:14 PM
I am deliberating who to contact for a protein skimmer for the zoo tank. ASM appears to be out of the skimmer business and operations are switched over to Octopus Skimmers. I am not familiar with their products but heard that they are very good. They are distributed by Marine Solutions whom are not RC sponsors. Thus I was thinking of trying Euro Reef since they are an RC sponsor and may be thus more likely to donate. My other thought is to see if there is any desire to build a DIY skimmer thyat we could tailor for our system. We would have the room for a large Becket type or other design. Any DIYers out there ready to take that on or should we first try to obtain a nice commercial unit.

drbronx
05/10/2007, 06:23 PM
Bump. Please read my previous post re: Protein Skimmers. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

fatrip
05/10/2007, 07:50 PM
well jerry since no one else is chimming in, i do not have much experiance with recerc skimmers or any skimmers really for that matter, but i have been looking at the 2 you are talking about and i think the best one to go with would be the Euro Reef...in the pictures i have seen it looks like it is made a little better and the flow design of it seems more practical thatn the octopus.... and as you had said they are an RC sponcer which to me seems more logical to go after a company that know what we are about rather than one who does not participate in RC and might not see any benifit in donating things...those are just my thoughts...as i said earlyer in the post i dont know much about skimmers so take it for what it is worth...thanks

03Mach
05/11/2007, 01:01 AM
ASM skimmers are still being sold, just by a different company.. Right? Is the skimmer going to be in or out of sump? Any plans for a sterilizer as well?

nwrogers
05/11/2007, 05:23 AM
I would go for a Euro Reef. Bigger is better...

drbronx
05/11/2007, 09:59 AM
OK, Nate. Your the equipment guru. If you say Euro, then Euro it is. Which one do you think. My guess is the RS 180 or RS 250, both are in-sump models.
http://www.euro-reef.com/products.shtml.

Of course beggars can't be choosers. I'll call them today. We'll see what happens.

frankandmaura
05/11/2007, 10:42 AM
Hi all...I know I missed the meeting and haven't said much, do you mind if I chime in?

On the skimmer and in general...do we know who is going to be maintaining this stuff? If it is going to be someone that doesn't have much experience with the equipment can I suggest one thing...simple and effective. I have no experience with the euro-reef, but I know the ASM's are simple to use...just take the top off and empty...or set it up to automatically drain. I think a good G3 or G4 with a gate valve mod would be perfect. Just my 2cents and it the euro-reef is equally simple to use then that is fine too...

I guess I just wanted to throw out there, the need to know who is maintaining the equipment.

drbronx
05/11/2007, 10:57 AM
Indeed, the Euro-reef is a very simple skimmer of much more solid construction than ASM. It is the industry standard for high end skimmers, thus it commands a higher price. I just spoke to the wonderful people at Euroreef and they are eager to help with community projects as well as aquaculture of endangered species. They are directly involved in a similar project (of a much larger scope) at the Scripps Institute in California that will involve demonstrations of healthy and bleached reef systems, Leafy Sea Dragons (you'll like that RyanM!) among other things. They are also working on other products including integrated Nano and full reef systems, calcium reactors etc. Anyway, they are e-mailing me a form to complete and they will meet to make a determination on Monday so we should know something soon. They appear to be a company that is truly invested not only in making good products, but in helping to educate the public about the nature/status of marine ecosystems. Very cool. Lets keep our collective fingers crossed.

To answer your other question Frank, we will be teaching the chief curator and others about routine tank maintyenance and we will also help with special troubleshooting and other periodic special needs of the tank.

frankandmaura
05/11/2007, 11:06 AM
Thanks Dr. Sounds good...I wonder if Tunze would be equally as eager to help...or are you going totally closed loop/no PH's?

nwrogers
05/11/2007, 11:16 AM
Either one of those would be nice IMO! The bigger one would allow us to have more fish of course :D but you are right beggars can’t be choosers and we would be more than happy with either one I would think :)

fatrip
05/11/2007, 11:31 AM
we're going totally closed loop frank..

drbronx
05/11/2007, 05:29 PM
Blugobi is negotiating with Ocean Motions for a reduced price on a 4 way closed loop system powered by a Sequence dart pump. St. James and Zanclus are working on 180 gallon tanks. I'm awaiting a reply from Ice cap for T-5 lighting and Euro reef for a skimmer. So a lot of stuff in the works. Also I hope to be getting 100 lbs of cheap live rock this weekend and next Sunday we'll make the rest. Folks are also working on obtaining play sand. The zoo will hopefully be able to pick up the tab for the rest. We'll need lumber for the stand, sump (I'm guessing we'll go rubbermaid, plumbing, return pump etc. Please let me know if anybody has ideas of what else we should be working on. I can't wait for the day when we can start thinking about livestock. I'm thinking, pretty soon we should all meet at the zoo to look things over more closely and to show everyone the site.

Blugobi
05/11/2007, 07:17 PM
Looks like Oceans Motions is going to give a 20% discount on a package deal for a Dart pump and a 4-way unit....Full retail would be about $569.00 and 20% discount brings us to about the $450 range, we will have to sit down and be creative with the plumbing as I do not think we will be able to drill in the bottom of a 180, but I have some ideas. Here is the Oceans motions site so you can see what the unit will do...check out the videos 0n how the flow will work.

http://www.oceansmotions.com/store/?osCsid=85984f62698845c732e0fbf6cf9b3947

Geo

fatrip
05/11/2007, 08:51 PM
we maybe should write to mag for a return pump. we will need a heater...maybe writing to a company that makes titanum heaters. RODI makers???who is good???any one sponcer RC that we can try to get to donate???ummmm salt companies...what salt are we goin with???instant ocean, reef crystals???i know they are made by the same company but one has more nutrients...we need to get power strips, light timers....sand for the bottom of the tank...we can start writing to drsfosterandsmith/liveaquaria, or vivid and see if any one will discount live stock...i know it is very early but it wont hurt to see of in the near future they would give us a discount or free fish...music, fish need music maybe i can get McIntosh to donate a system...lol...JK...but i have some Mc speakers we could use...lol...calcium reactor maybe if we want to go that route...kalk for PH...pinpoint for digital temp readings...if i have let anything out let me know...i dont think i have but i have had a few beers so who knows...lol...

St.james of reefdom
05/11/2007, 10:56 PM
I have not heard back from All-Glass yet . I will PM Jerry when I hear from them with the Particulars

03Mach
05/12/2007, 01:19 AM
Is there any idea of timing yet? What is it that we are looking at as far as plumbing goes? I may have a "lead" for a deal for some plumbing stuff. If the stocking of the tank is timed right we will be able to provide the tank with the livestock. Just let me know what I can do to help.

03Mach
05/12/2007, 01:26 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9926571#post9926571 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by St.james of reefdom
I have not heard back from All-Glass yet . I will PM Jerry when I hear from them with the Particulars

Have you talked with anyone at AGA? I've been talking to them a good deal over the past few day's. I've found that persistence (nagging) is the only way to get answers out of them.

drbronx
05/12/2007, 06:07 AM
Good ideaS Vince. Would you like to contact Instant Oceans to see if they could supply some Reef crystals.
Perhaps we can contact Melev for one of his RO/DI units. They are excellent and cheap. http://www.melevsreef.com/ro_di.html. NateR: Since you are familiar with his stuff, I was hoping you might contact him.
I was thinking that we should just go with a simple two part dosing system. Two containers with aqualifter pumps would work fine.
Mach03 - Thanks for your kind offer of livestock. I don't imagine the tank will be ready for livestock for at least a couple of months.
Anybody else we can contact for a tank in case AGA doesn't come through? Its always good to have a plan B.

Piazzon12
05/12/2007, 06:46 AM
Guys, if we had a template letter in Microsoft Word explaining what our project is and asking for donations, it would be simple to change out the name of the manufacturer and the product we are after, and mass produce these pretty quickly.... and of course we can add some brown nosing where applicable.
Adam

Piazzon12
05/12/2007, 06:48 AM
Also it will be that much easier for the zoo curator(?) to read and approve. Consistency is best.

fatrip
05/12/2007, 11:55 AM
that is a good idea adam but i think alot of use have already started to contact these companys.......he guys i was wondering what color we are going to paint the back of the tank???

St.james of reefdom
05/12/2007, 12:11 PM
The contact in AGA is fairly high up , so I am hesitant to push to a point.I have not asked for an outright free of charge donation, I think that should be up to the company to offer to us when they find out the cause it is being used for. I am sure they get bombarded by causes everyday,.
I have worked with a number of these guys while i had the business.

I do have another place I can go to out by Buffalo if all AGA doesn't work with us.

Do we have a time line for this? I was not aware of one?

03Mach
05/12/2007, 02:08 PM
I was wondering if the zoo had any sort of time that they were thinking? It's always good to at least have some sort of itinerary, be it very rough even. Maybe thats just me though?

Understandable with AGA if the contact is a higher up. I've been dealing more with the service reps. I could only imagine the amount of "causes" that pass over their desks.

drbronx
05/12/2007, 02:39 PM
No definitive timeline exists. The zoo realizes that this will take some time. However, once we have the tank, we can get things cranking: building the stand, canopy, plumbing, closed loop etc. I would love to shoot for mid to late July so that the zoo can benefit for a few months before it closes for the season. Earlier would be great of course but we shouldn't stress over this project.

If anyone wants, I could post a sample letter. The main things to include are the nature and goals of the project, the fact that the zoo is a non-profit organization with limited discretionary funds, and that plaques honoring primary corporate and other sponsors can be displayed.

fatrip
05/13/2007, 12:43 PM
SAND...i just hit me we need sand for the bottom of the tank....and lots of it lol...idk if we want to try and get some from a company or get like lowes sand???

DaveFe
05/13/2007, 07:57 PM
Wow guys this sounds awesome, I'll definately be keeping tabs on this project and checking it out whenever it opens up.

fatrip
05/13/2007, 08:03 PM
keep closer tabs, there is always room for one more helping hand...

frankandmaura
05/14/2007, 06:50 AM
Anyone think of hitting up one of the LFS in our area? They may be willing to sponsor some part of this if they can advertise, i.e. put a small sticker in the corner of the tank. They may be good for some salt or sand?!?

Just a thought.

Piazzon12
05/14/2007, 09:38 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I dont know that we'd want any of the current local LFS's as sponsors as we don't really condone the care (or lack thereof) they give to their fish/corals.. at least the two I'm thinking of

fatrip
05/14/2007, 09:49 AM
I am on the side with piazzon12...I've had bad experiences with both, and rick is edited by mhurley

[chimp]

frankandmaura
05/14/2007, 10:02 AM
I think Livingstons does a pretty good job, at least he try's.

...it was just a suggestion...

Wasn't there someone on URS that was talking about opening a new store (a responsible store)??

drbronx
05/14/2007, 06:07 PM
Frank: 03Mach is in the early stages of opening a well thought out exotic pet store with a significant portion being devoted to saltwater fish and corals. He has pledged significant support to the zoo project. One of our own will be designing and installing his system.

frankandmaura
05/15/2007, 05:49 AM
Thanks Jerry...I thought I remembered someone here planning a nice store. Thanks!

fatrip
05/15/2007, 06:05 AM
it is goin to be right next to you frank...i can see your tank now....full of softies and fish...lol...

frankandmaura
05/15/2007, 06:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9944909#post9944909 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fatrip
it is goin to be right next to you frank...i can see your tank now....full of softies and fish...lol...

Really?? Where?

fatrip
05/15/2007, 06:36 AM
some where off of front st there in vestal