PDA

View Full Version : Tank crash

VonZep
05/02/2007, 10:06 PM
OK I screwed up. Our tank has been running for 2 years, I was using chalupa in the refugium and it was thriving (weekly trimmings) Ammonia, nitrate phosphates etc were nonexistant. I was starting to get good coraline algea growth. Had some thriving green zooanthids, mushrooms and various other easy to keep polyps spreading. Then I opened the fresh water make up valve and went to sleep. The next morning salinity was 1.005 and the temp was 59 degrees ( over flow drains outside so I didn't flood the house). Over the next 10 hours I brought the temp and salinity up slowly. The chalupa was slime as were many of the polyps. snails and shrimp and crabs (most) were dead as were tons of pods. We took out each rock and cleaned them and removed all dead material. Red Sonja helped me with some nice cheato for the sump and some live sand to help out too. Its been 2 weeks or so and I have to keep a filter sock in the sump and clean it every day otherwise the tank goes mirky (never needed it before). The sock gets coated in green/brown goo fast. The skimmer is not really producing much and the water parameters are still good.

What is going on and what do I need to work on?

TomRep
05/02/2007, 10:11 PM
Not sure, but sorry to hear this man. Good luck in getting everything back into shape asap!
Tom

drunktank
05/02/2007, 10:28 PM
your essentially gonna have to cycle the tank again.

cagntlemn
05/02/2007, 10:32 PM
You pretty much have to start from scratch and let the tank cycle again. Just try to keep your levels steady.