PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Actinic Wattage?

1F2FRFBF
05/03/2007, 12:52 AM
Hi All...

I've read a lot about the necessary lighting required for keeping certain types of livestock. It's because of this that I'm going to be upgrading to a single 250W metal halide bulb within the next week.

I would also like to incorporate actinics into my lighting scheme, but as much as I've been looking around I can't find anything that gives recommended (or minimum required) actinic wattage for any given system. Of course, it's entirely possible that my eyeballs just glazed over and I missed it. :p

I'm asking because with my tank (corner) the shape will only allow for so much lamp in the arrangement. For instance, the smallest T-5 size I've seen is 24", which may end up being a bit too long for my setup. I've seen the smaller power compacts, but that's where I'm asking myself if they'd be enough.

So... does actinic wattage matter? Or is it mostly for looks?

Scuba_Steve
05/03/2007, 12:58 AM
You can always use a higher K MH bulb to make up for it. You dont need actinics at all when in the 20 K region. The front of the corner tank should be able to handle a 24" right?

bertoni
05/03/2007, 01:59 AM
Actinics are really just for viewing pleasure, so it's all up to your personal taste. I don't use actinics with my two small MH setups.

ahullsb
05/03/2007, 03:25 AM
listen to bertoni! :)

1F2FRFBF
05/03/2007, 08:32 AM
So then actinics really don't have any beneficial properties for the tank dwellers; they're just a light to bring out the colors in the corals etc., and wattage isn't a necessary consideration. In other words, I won't be losing anything.

Thanks!

Nano Chris
05/03/2007, 12:23 PM
With my setup i have 2x 96watt 03 actinics, which look good :D