PDA

View Full Version : new fish just arrived!!

woogy
05/03/2007, 08:41 AM
I purchased online a yellow watchman goby, royal gramma and coral beauty angelfish. The goby and coral beauty are doing fine, but the gramma is laying on her side most of the time. I am drip acclimating them. Is this normal???

Sparty00
05/03/2007, 08:58 AM
I am pretty new to this, as I am starting out my first aquarium, however I would say that the gramma is probably severely stressed right now. Keep up with drip acclimation, however keep an eye on the gramma as it may not make it.

Is the gramma breathing heavy too?

woogy
05/03/2007, 09:10 AM
hard to tell, but doesn't look like it

Reefmack
05/03/2007, 09:23 AM
About a week or so ago I picked up a royal gramma at my local SW lfs, and it was on it's side, kinda bent in a u-shape, and practically dead after only a 10 minute drive home. Acclimated it anyway, and it would show spurts of trying to swim. Added it to the tank and it died shortly after. Took it back to the lfs and they replaced it, but the new one wasn't very active after acclimation. Went into hiding, kinda on its side in a hole in the LR, and it was dead the next morning. I was aggravated and didn't return that one, but on a trip back to the lfs I mentioned it and they said that they lost most of the royals in that tank to an unknown cause. I couldn't get credit as I no longer had the fish, but I felt better that it wasn't anything I did. Maybe it was too much transport stress or whoever is supplying the royals to the trade caught them with cyanide (I think some suppliers use that to catch wild fish?). Anyway, it's not a good sign, but hopefully yours will pull through OK.

woogy
05/03/2007, 09:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9867931#post9867931 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tlmack
About a week or so ago I picked up a royal gramma at my local SW lfs, and it was on it's side, kinda bent in a u-shape, and practically dead after only a 10 minute drive home. Acclimated it anyway, and it would show spurts of trying to swim. Added it to the tank and it died shortly after. Took it back to the lfs and they replaced it, but the new one wasn't very active after acclimation. Went into hiding, kinda on its side in a hole in the LR, and it was dead the next morning. I was aggravated and didn't return that one, but on a trip back to the lfs I mentioned it and they said that they lost most of the royals in that tank to an unknown cause. I couldn't get credit as I no longer had the fish, but I felt better that it wasn't anything I did. Maybe it was too much transport stress or whoever is supplying the royals to the trade caught them with cyanide (I think some suppliers use that to catch wild fish?). Anyway, it's not a good sign, but hopefully yours will pull through OK.

thanks for the reply tlmack. The gramma is still laying on her side. Still acclimating though. Other fish are very active!!!