PDA

View Full Version : New Phoenix bulb won't fire in Sunpod

jcm1229
05/03/2007, 08:53 AM
I just tried to replace my bulb in my sunpod and the new bulb won't fire up.

Its a phoenix 150w bulb and when I installed it, it would flicker for about 8 seconds and then nothing. I tried this 4 times and each time the same result. I reinstalled the stock bulb and it fired fine (so I know I'm installing it OK). In addition, when I removed the old bulb the ceramic covering the connection end was cracked. After inserting the new bulb, the ceramic cracked as well.

I don't know if this would constitute a problem with the sunpod since the bulb fires ok.

Thoughts / Comments?

eyebedam
08/17/2007, 06:58 PM
Well does the bulb fire up? Was it a bad bulb?

DarG
08/17/2007, 07:10 PM
If it's flickering and buzzing for a few seconds then shuts down, it probably will fire. The sockets in the Sunpod are standard 150 watt DE sockets. They arent any different, better or worse, than most 150 watt sockets. Very easy to break off the contact insulators in these sockets. If you power down the fixture, unplug it and gently pry the spring loaded contacts outward on each side of the socket ... then clean them with alcohol on a Qtip and do the same with the new bulbs contacts. I betcha it will fire. The square glass ends of some brand 150 watt DE's are fatter/larger than others. This prevents the bulbs from making good contact with the spring contacts in the sockets. Also makes it easier to break the little insulators trying to seat the bulb. Bending the contact tabs of the socket so they are more forward in the sockets will allow the new bulb to make good contact (small needlenose works). Again, this can happen with any 150 watt DE standard socket, it's not just the current usa.

Try it and tell me what happens. Of course, the bulb is now use at your own risk ... :eek2:

jcm1229
08/17/2007, 07:54 PM
It was a bad bulb. The vendor replaced it and the new Phoenix fired up fine.

DarG
08/17/2007, 08:24 PM
Sorry, didnt notice how old the original post was. Glad it's fixed.

mile sq. reefer
08/17/2007, 08:24 PM
jcm1229, do you have a pic of the tank with the pheonix 14k lamp?