PDA

View Full Version : recommendation for my startup saltwater tank?

ejones4Christ
05/03/2007, 01:33 PM
I need recommendation for my startup saltwater tank?
The Tanks: Oceanic 46 gallon bow front 37x17
The Type: Reef tank
The Budget: $500.00dollars
Here are some items that I am look at http://www.thatpetplace.com

Filtration: Magnum 350 Pro with Bio-wheel Filter
Magnum 350 Pro Aquarium Filter System

Starting at: $98.99

The consummate 3-in-1 filtration system, the Magnum 350 Pro filter system delivers optimal mechanical, chemical, and classic wet/dry biological filtration to your aquatic setup. It combines the ultimate aquarium cleaning power of the Magnum 350 Canister Filter, with the proven biological filtration efficiency of a Bio-wheel Filter. This awesome package includes a variety of accessories, including a Power Kleen Gravel Washer at no extra cost.
Tidepool Bio-Wheel Sump Filtration Modules
Lighting: NOVA EXTREME LIGHT FIXTURES BY CURRENT info
Starting at
$159.99
Multiple bulb space-saving design makes the Nova Extreme an amazing total lighting package for your reef aquarium second only to the sun itself! Utilizing extraordinarily powerful High Output T5 lamps to run a bulb for every situation, including a 460nm actinic blue lamp, 10,000K ultra full-spectrum daylight lamps, and spectacular Moon White lunar lamps to mimic gentle moonlight, this package truly contains everything for lighting. Each lighting source runs on an independent circuit so you can easily adjust your day/night cycles. Combine this with a German parabolic reflector that increases lighting output by 99%, a low-energy consuming electronic ballast, and a fan to increase safety and efficiency, and you will not consider buying any other lighting solution for your reef!

SEACLONE PROTEIN SKIMMERS

Starting at: $78.99
Versatility and pint-sized power is what you get with SeaClone Protein Skimmers. These innovative protein skimmers function as either hang-on protein skimmers or sump models. The tornado-like motion inside removes organics quickly and easily from your aquarium's surface. The user-friendly design has been tested in many different aquarium environments to ensure simple use. Protein skimmers feature a turbo venturi injector system that mixes filtered aquarium water and air in the pump impeller chamber, creating a froth of micro-bubbles for maximum protein skimmer efficiency. A massive collection chamber requires less emptying then other models. Includes Maxi-Jet 1000 pump.

blkdrgn
05/03/2007, 02:22 PM
I wouldn't use the Magnum 350. I would get a good skimmer. Your budget is a little low for a reef tank but it probably can be done. try to buy used stuff and/or DIY.

Normally you will need

tank, stand, lights,
filtration
maybe sand
live rocks or normal rocks
maybe chiller
heater
powerheads
salt mix or natural sea water
RO or distilled water for mixing salt and top-off water
hydrometer or refractometer
basic test kits
fish nets
not to mention the fish, corals, snails, shrimp, crabs, etc.

trigger111
05/03/2007, 02:23 PM
That's an okay start. However, I bet after a few months time of learning a working with your tank you would be wishing you had chosen other equipment. The 46 gallon bowfront looks like, but if you are like most after a couple of weeks you will have wished you had gotten a rectangular tank(it can be a pain to clean the curve of the glass). I would go with the 58 gallon oceanic. The nova is a okay light fixture, but there are definitely better fixtures for the money. And the seaclone is not that great 1/10 love the other 9 hate it. I had one and with a lot of work it could achieve some good results, but a beginner would be better off with something a bit more consistent.

Good luck

ejones4Christ
05/03/2007, 02:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9869483#post9869483 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by trigger111
That's an okay start. However, I bet after a few months time of learning a working with your tank you would be wishing you had chosen other equipment. The 46 gallon bowfront looks like, but if you are like most after a couple of weeks you will have wished you had gotten a rectangular tank(it can be a pain to clean the curve of the glass). I would go with the 58 gallon oceanic. The nova is a okay light fixture, but there are definitely better fixtures for the money. And the seaclone is not that great 1/10 love the other 9 hate it. I had one and with a lot of work it could achieve some good results, but a beginner would be better off with something a bit more consistent.

Good luck

Could you go to the site and give me a good recommendation for the filter and protein skimmer
system?
http://www.thatpetplace.com

Kengaroo131
05/03/2007, 02:37 PM
i have learned about skimmer that there really isnt the "best" skimmer its a matter of opinion one person can be using a cheap skimmer that skims some waste and the person will be amazed with the results and another person can be using a really expensive skimmer and get even better results. basicaly what im trying to say is that you have to expeiriment with different things its all a matter of what you think is the best. if your on a real tight budget you can check out the skimmers from aqua traders i hear some good things and some bad things but for 30 bucks why not try it out. if the pump craps out you can always replace it with another one. heres the site www.aquatraders.com although i wouldnt buy lights from them i hear they over heat and other bad stuff. i dont think i heard one good thing yet about there lights ha. good luck hope this helps.

reeftanker04
05/03/2007, 02:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9869526#post9869526 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ejones4Christ
Could you go to the site and give me a good recommendation for the filter and protein skimmer
system?
http://www.thatpetplace.com

You're better off looking in the equipment forums here on RC. If you have $500 to spend, you should buy it used, not new. A good light (new) will run you a few hundred (minimum) in itself. That's not counting the skimmer, LR, powerheads, etc.

Rockblast
05/18/2007, 02:11 AM
Let me try to help you out a bit.

At first I recommend you not buying the Seaclone protein skimmer. It's doesnt work well at all.

Filter:
If you would like a canister filter, I highly recommend RENA's Filstar XP filters for the size of the tank you have you need to get the XP2. This is an awesome filter I am using one on one of my tanks. It very quiet and just works great.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/10562/product.web

Lighting:
The lighting you want should be ok, but I prefer a Power Compact fixture. Metal Halides would be the lighting for a reef tank but MH are expensive so you can that later on.
I'm using Power Compacts on my reef tank and it works great.

Here is a pretty good Power Compact Fixture that I found.
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/204940/product.web

Protein skimmer:
I highly recommend the Coralife SuperSkimmer. I have it and it works great. It comes with everything already for it to run, so you dont need to buy anything extra for it.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/209793/product.web

Heater:
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/196272/product.web

Powerhead:
2x MaxiJet 1200 would be good for your tank.
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/198211/product.web

Refractometer:
I highly recommend a refractometer on a Hydrometer. But if you cant afford a refractometer at the moment a glass hydrometer should be ok for testing your salt salinity

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/199289/product.web

Hydrometer:
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/215123/product.web

You will also need to buy Test kits to test your calcium, alk etc.
I highly recommend Salifert Test kits or API test kits is also pretty good. Dont buy any other brand. Some other brand can be very in accurate.

Wel I hope I help you a bit with your shopping.

If you need any help at all just pm me and I will be happy to help you out.

Saltwater_Dog
05/18/2007, 03:26 AM
Good luck with a $500 budget. Just my lights cost that!

alexb518
05/18/2007, 04:33 AM
you need to be patient and sit around and wait for a deal on a used setup. you can get what someone paid thousands for to fall within your budget. if you're going to buy new stuff, you're gonna end up with a good skimmer (not that seaclone POS), and maybe some power heads. setting up a reef is $$$$$$$$$$$. go used...check out craigslist or ebay. i think i have more than $500 in just chemicals, test kits, tools etc (things for upkeeping basically).

Icefire
05/18/2007, 06:02 AM
Look used.

Get a tank, some live rock, a shop light and some powerhead.

with 500$ you can forget mh/t5ho and pc aren't really better than regular t8.

If you wanna run some carbon, get an Aquaclear.

Go skimmerless at first, rocks will cost you between 100-300$ alone, +tank, + powerhead. you are near 500$.

JOSEPHLB
05/18/2007, 07:22 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9967101#post9967101 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Saltwater_Dog
Good luck with a $500 budget. Just my lights cost that!

I really hope this post was sarcastic? Or was this post really a chance to come out and brag and ridicule someone just because they only have a $500 budget?

Shagsbeard
05/18/2007, 07:52 AM
I personally think that for a new person, $500 is not even close to working. For a patient person who knows what he's doing, it might work... but probably not. You'ld have to get a lot of really good deals.

Rock is about $5/lb and you'll want 50ish pounds... that's half your budget.

Sand, water (yes... water costs money), test kits... you're really not seeing all the other costs involved. You'll do one of two things underbudgeting like this...

1) You'll get halfway there and get hooked and run up $2000-$3000 in credit card debt (my personal favorite).

2) You'll get half way there and quit and sell the stuff you bought for ten cents on the dollor in a garage sale or on craigslist.

Better to have realistic goals... even better to save money, buy stuff used when you can find it. Don't dive in head first and buy crappy stuff that you'll end up having to replace.

Lotus99
05/18/2007, 11:41 PM
I think on your budget, you'll either have to get some great deals on used stuff, or start with FOWLR then go reef when your budget allows. If possible, go for a sump system, rather than the canister filter.

Get yourself a decent tank, live rock, skimmer and powerheads, then upgrade later with the lights.

The best deals I've gotten on used stuff has been through local fish clubs. I've gotten free stuff and extemely cheap stuff (like $10 for a canister filter). If you have one near you, definitely join up.

ThomasinKind
05/19/2007, 12:57 AM
I'd start by buying a few really good books. The Conscientious Marine Aquarist - Fenner, Reef Invertebrates - Fenner and Calfo and Aquarium Corals - Borneman (in that order).

I'm still pricing and buying piece by piece because I'd prefer to avoid credit card debt and have the actual equipment I want.

Isn't the general [and obviously this is a loose term] rule of thumb somewhere around 30$/gallon (I think I read that somewhere -- and juding on some signatures on here, that's really modest). Save up and purchase good equipment to start -- otherwise you're making your life more difficult and spending more in upgrades.

Ricepicker
05/19/2007, 02:28 AM
Stay away from canisters and hang-on-back filters of any kind... they wont do you good...

tank that size all u need is LiveRock and few powerheads...

its small enough for u to do regular water changes so you don't even need a skimmer, if you really want one, get the superskimmer 3002

lights... too many options here, i don't like PCs, waste of money IMO, T5HO is more cost effective in the long run, and grow corals better.

best thing for u to do is watch the classified, and snipe a deal when you see one

GoingPostal
05/19/2007, 06:16 AM
It can be done on a small budget. When I first started I spent about $40 a paycheck online ordering misc. things I needed. I found a good deal on tank stand and live rock which is your biggest expense. It's better to save up and buy what you really need before setting it up, buy test kits, refractometer, heater, powerheads, etc, then set up the tank and buy live rock. Lights are upgradable, I started with standard flourescents and bought PC when I could afford it.

Husky_1
05/19/2007, 06:33 AM
Here is my suggestions, its sound like you have the tank so that price is not included:

Buy sand: 50lbs should work, dont buy live sand, instead buy all dry then ask a local reefer to exchange a cup of dry sand for his "Live sand" should cost about $60

Get LR from a local guy who is parting out his tank, you will save about $3/lb..You want about 60 lbs so you figure out the cost. $180

Now decide if you want to go with a sump or lights. YOu will need some lighting, so once again look for somthing used. I have the current Nova extreme and I think they are a good deal. Maybe not optimal lights for SPS, but good non the less. You will want to have a sump with your filtration stuff before you throw a ton of light on your tank. I say buy a used corallife PC fixture for less that $75 so that you can get your tank up and running keep some fish and a shroom or 2 until you can put some more money into lighting.

Dont buy a wet/dry from the LFS. Instead do some research on construction and purchase a 10-40 gallon tank, go to a glass store and have them cut you glass for your project. THis will cost about $100 for both. Now you have unlimited potential. IN here you can run charcoal in a bag, in your baffles, you will also have some type of filter sock, and you can run a DSB later with a section for Macro algae. You will still need an overflow and a pump, so that will probably take up the rest of your cash.

I think the key is utilizing local reefers and buying used. I see tons of good new stuff go up for 1/2 off on my local board. I think you just have to be patient.