View Full Version : Calcium?

05/03/2007, 04:02 PM
Just looking to add calcium and not sure how,when and easiest.
Posted a pic of my 5 month old tank for fun!
Softies mostly, with 2 Tomato clowns, bi color blennie, a flame angel.

Any comments welcome....

05/03/2007, 04:04 PM
lots of people use kalk or a calcium reactor

05/03/2007, 04:16 PM
is Kalk available a LFS?

05/03/2007, 04:18 PM
you can use B-ionic. if you don't want to use a calcium reactor you can just add it your self. very easy to use. but before you start dosing get a good test kit for Ca and KH you will need it to determine how much calcium you will need to add.

this kind of pruduct can be dosed daily by you. or you can calculate how much calcium you tank is using and then dosing it with a dosing pump or a gravity doser.

05/03/2007, 04:23 PM
FYI, if you plan to dose calcium, get a calcium test kit. You should never add supplements that you are not testing for. After testing your current calcium levels, this will give you a much better idea of a dosing regime to follow. Personally, I've been using B-Ionic for a few weeks now, and am happy with the results. Before this I had not dosed Ca or Alk supplements due to not enough being consumed in the tank to warrant dosing. If there is insufficient stoney corals or other livestock that will utilize the Ca or Alk than water changes weekly alone should suffice. Imporatant thing to remember is to maintain your levels appropriatley.

I would not recommend a kalk or Ca reactor just yet, get some supplements and "practice" maintaing your levels, this will help you gain some knowledge in this area and will certainly come in handy when you decide to add an expensive Ca reactor later on. Understanding the principles behind the need for Ca and Alk supplements will go a long way towards your tanks well being.

05/03/2007, 04:34 PM
what Papa said...and just curiuos...why you need to dose Calcium?....regular water changes will provide you with whatever your softies "consume"...which is very minimal anyway....

05/03/2007, 04:51 PM
I have been testing the Ca and just looking to the future as we paln on adding more corals (not sure which ones yet) but I keep reading Calcium is important for these guys. I don't mind dosing and testing but my calcium at this point is 440 and my alk is >130.
Which is good for now. right?
I am doing about a 15% water change weekly with the water from my R/O D/I unit that i found under a sink in my house and had all the cartridges changed.
My Nitrates are still in the 20 range but everything in the tank is
doing really good. IMHO
Don't want to add more corals and then realize that the Ca is low.
Thanks for your comments.

05/03/2007, 04:53 PM
Oh and Burntout...how do you get any work done with your tank in your office.....I wouldn't be able to concentrate...!!!!
Thanks again.

05/03/2007, 04:58 PM
LOL....you should see what I do for a living....
the softies wont mind a nitrate level of uptp 20ppm...but keep an eye on it if you ever want to move into SPS...
your other levels are ok for now...
Ca really is used by reef building corals...i.e things that build a "skeleton"..i.e. Hammer's, Heliofungia's, and SPS....so. IMO as long as you are keepuing softies you should be ok with just regular water changes.....

just my 2 cents

05/03/2007, 05:02 PM
Thanks sounds logical!

05/03/2007, 05:04 PM
BTW...nice tank...albeit...those two rocks on the top look like they could fall anytime.....

05/03/2007, 11:27 PM
has you add coral and they grow you will see that you need to add more Ca. but I think you should be find for now only dosing B-ionic and testing it. also the weekly water changes help but you will alwasy need to add Ca to the new water.

wich salt mix are you using?

05/04/2007, 06:44 AM
Instant Ocean