PDA

View Full Version : frequency of water changes

rodgod20
05/03/2007, 05:08 PM
So I am going throught the blooms during a new tank. Its a 65 with 80lbs of lr currently (going to have 95 when all is said and done) and 100lbs of sand. 1.026 and the rest is zero.

right now I have 6 turbos, 6 astrea, 7 nass, and 2 emeralds running as a clean up.

But I would like to help these blooms go a little faster, so should I do smaller more freqent water changes or 1 massive water change during a week?

I think the frequent water changes would be better. Wonder what you think?

papagimp
05/03/2007, 05:12 PM
I think you should just ride it out naturally, best option in my opinion. rushing this may cause certain "maturation" to not take place and may cause problems later on. May be just fine, but I would prefer not to take the chance. After all, it's perfectly normal, and by the time it's done, the tank should have matured sufficiently for new livestock. The added time waiting would only benefit the tank.

BurntOutReefer
05/03/2007, 05:35 PM
agree....

JerseyWendy
05/03/2007, 05:38 PM
I'm going through the same blooms right now. My diatom bloom is done (yippee), and now it's the hair algae. I was advised to do weekly water changes of 20% to help it along. I am running my skimmer at full force, cut down the lights as much as I possibly can (I do have several softies and 2 SPSs), have 2 bags of Chemi Pur and use PhosZorb in addition to countless snails and hermits. Every day I see an improvement. I believe patience is the key now. :)

I also change the skimmer collection cup on a daily basis, and boy is it funky.

(All this is coming from a newbie)

---
Wendy

rodgod20
05/03/2007, 05:44 PM
wendy are you running your skimmer a little wet? My skimate is really really dark, but I don't pull alot of skimmate out.

JerseyWendy
05/03/2007, 05:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9870919#post9870919 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rodgod20
wendy are you running your skimmer a little wet? My skimate is really really dark, but I don't pull alot of skimmate out.

No, it's pretty dry, but it is VERY funky smelling nonetheless. That's the only reason I empty it every day. :eek2:

---
Wendy