PDA

View Full Version : Reduction of Nitrates with Sugar?

Victor1046
05/03/2007, 04:15 PM
Was reading this thread in the newbie forum and was looking for some thoughts from this forum.

Sugar in your tank?
Registered Member

Nitrate Reduction 101 with sugar!!!
Hi, I have posted this trick to eliminate nitrates many times. I don't know why people use it but here it goes. My tank use to have high nitrates, as in off the chart. Around 60-80ppm, in 2 weeks they were down to zero WITHOUT water changes. I haven't done water changes in months and my nitrates are still at zero. Now I'm not a light feeder, I have a 92G FOWLR tank with a few damsels, an ocellaris clown, clarki clown, pajama cardinal, yellow tang and a hippo tang. Nitrates can only be eliminated naturally by anerobic bacteria, which of course is not in anyones tank since anerobic bacteria. There are very few of these bacteria in aquariums. In order to get this bacteria you need to feed it somthing, what happens to be sugar, plain old white granulated
sugar. Ok, now, this is how I did it...

First of all, you need to have a protein skimmer, it won't work without one, if you don't have one I would highly suggest getting one. As a start I would add 1/8 of a teaspoon of sugar for every 25 gallons of water, every other day. If you have any corals I would do every two days. You can add more but it's better to be safe than sorry. Doing this promotes the growth of anerobic bacteria as I mentioned before. Growing this type of bacteria will use up some oxygen in your tank, thats why it's better to start off with a low ammount of sugar. Your skimmer will supply oxygen as well as skim out all those anerobic bacteria that have just consumed nitrate. Therefore lowering your nitrates This truly does work and you will be very suprised how much money it saves you in salt for water changes. I'm not saying you never have to do them again, I'm saying you don't have to ever do water changes to lower nitrates. I have directed many people in the right direction, and not one of those people have told me that they lost live stock and/or corals in the process.

I am saying this because every day, I see some one on here that asks how to lower nitrates besides water changes and I am getting pretty tired of explaining this whole thing to them. I would really appreciate it if people can post there experience on this thread and help keep this thread alive. If there are any questions I am here I hope this will help people out.

Thanks for any comments!
Vicki

bertoni
05/03/2007, 04:53 PM
There are lots of posts on this topic. Adding sugar sometimes helps, but has also caused problems with corals. I haven't had the need to try this approach, since nitrate can be reduced with other means that I think are safer.

Victor1046
05/03/2007, 04:57 PM
thanks Johathan...it seems as if you would be forcing something to happen which is going to end up hurting something else ..

bertoni
05/03/2007, 05:01 PM
Well, a lot of people seem to be successful with sugar, or seem to be, but I wouldn't risk it.