PDA

View Full Version : just set up a NC12... how can i MAXIMIZE biofiltration?

supernareg
05/03/2007, 05:02 PM
i'm downgrading... going from DSB + skimmer + sump + cheato to a nancube that doesnt have either.

how can i maximize my nanocube's biological filtration? should i keep and add the white cylinder looking things that came with it?

i plan to fill up rubble rock in the back compartments, maybe get a small skimmer for the back. its going to have a LOT of LR in the display and only 2 true percs.

well??

blkdrgn
05/03/2007, 05:07 PM
I heard that you really don't need to have a skimmer in a small nano tank but I have one. the white cylinders are ceramic discs that works almost like bio-balls.

you can do all that you had before. once you get those take out the sponge, bio-balls, carbon, and ceramic discs.

supernareg
05/03/2007, 05:25 PM
how am i putting in cheato? there is no light in the back, and i'm not peeling the backing cause i dont have room for the to go on the back. skimmer i'll do soon, but thats about it.

as for the DSB, i have about 2" in my display, i didnt want to put more so i could have more tank volume.

Str8baller
05/03/2007, 07:21 PM
despite a lot of argument, and i hope i don't start a battle... but its advised not to have a protein skimmer in nano tanks (less then 20g). I know lots of people have P. skimmers but due to the size its not worth the amount of nutrients it takes out of th water. It takes bad and good stuff out, and i would advise not getting one. my tank is doing great and does not have one. But i digress, take the stuff in the back out, except the sponges ( i kept those). My compartments are as follows:

compartment 1: sponge, phosoban, sponge
compartment 2: chemipure, purigen
compartment 3: 50w stealth heater, Maxi-Jet 900 (230gph)

I have room in the second compartment for some LR rubble, but to be honest its not enough to make a difference. I would go with 20lbs of sand (get a deeper sand bed) and about 15-20lbs of LR. Set your self up nicely for some softies corals.

hope this helps and good luck :)

Illuminati
05/03/2007, 07:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9872066#post9872066 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Str8baller
despite a lot of argument, and i hope i don't start a battle... but its advised not to have a protein skimmer in nano tanks (less then 20g). I know lots of people have P. skimmers but due to the size its not worth the amount of nutrients it takes out of th water. It takes bad and good stuff out, and i would advise not getting one. my tank is doing great and does not have one. But i digress, take the stuff in the back out, except the sponges ( i kept those). My compartments are as follows:

compartment 1: sponge, phosoban, sponge
compartment 2: chemipure, purigen
compartment 3: 50w stealth heater, Maxi-Jet 900 (230gph)

I have room in the second compartment for some LR rubble, but to be honest its not enough to make a difference. I would go with 20lbs of sand (get a deeper sand bed) and about 15-20lbs of LR. Set your self up nicely for some softies corals.

hope this helps and good luck :)

Great advice, I have my chambers the same.

Just make sure to clean the sponges weekly when you do a waterchange..........

SNAKEMANVET
05/03/2007, 08:17 PM
I agree with str8baller, I have a 12 gal nano running without a skimmer, and ceramic , bio balls. Just do regular water changes every week.

Rosseau
05/03/2007, 08:48 PM
How about the products...

chemipure, purigen, phosban.

How many nano reefers run these regularly or at all?

Illuminati
05/03/2007, 09:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9872789#post9872789 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rosseau
How about the products...

chemipure, purigen, phosban.

How many nano reefers run these regularly or at all?

A few months back there was a poll about this question. The results were staggering. The majority of aal in one nano users use both Chemi-Pure and Purigen.

I only started using Phosban because of cyano and the phosban cleared it up and I still use it as a preventative measure.

kingfisher62
05/03/2007, 09:31 PM
I keep Lr rubble in the back with a bag of "kents phosphate sponge". Also pulled the filter cartridge and just put a wad of filter floss on the drip tray which i change every couple of days.
I have chaeto in my main display attached to the upper back wall ,
which grows nicely with the tanks lights . I trim it when needed.

wettank
05/03/2007, 09:46 PM
I have a NC 24 been up a little over a year and is fully stocked with lots of coral and 4 fish and a cleaner shrimp and all i run is cheap poly pillow stuffing from walmart in the first chamber and chemipure in the second and thats all i.I do weekly 5 gallon water changes and replace the poly weekly.Very healthy system

blkdrgn
05/04/2007, 01:59 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9871224#post9871224 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by supernareg
how am i putting in cheato? there is no light in the back, and i'm not peeling the backing cause i dont have room for the to go on the back. skimmer i'll do soon, but thats about it.

as for the DSB, i have about 2" in my display, i didnt want to put more so i could have more tank volume.

You can put cheato in the back. they sell small lights just for the chambers. as for san they recommend 1" or less or 5" or more.

nemofish2217
05/04/2007, 05:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9874187#post9874187 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by blkdrgn
You can put cheato in the back. they sell small lights just for the chambers. as for san they recommend 1" or less or 5" or more.

where can you get such a light?

blkdrgn
05/04/2007, 11:31 AM
You can try these.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=673820&highlight=fuge+light

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=553708

cherubfish pair
05/04/2007, 02:54 PM
How about pods? They are biological and can do a lot of cleaning (filtration).

cherubfish pair
05/18/2007, 11:09 PM
Your liverock should do most of your biological filtration.

Eklikewhoa
05/19/2007, 12:31 AM
I have about 12lbs of LR and probably 10lbs of LS in the display area.

Comp.1.. floss/purigen/chem-pure elite/LR rubble
Comp.2.. 50w Ti heater/Cheato/2lbs LR/13wPC fuge light
Comp.3.. MJ900/via90-NT ICA chiller/ Hydor flo

Jim Cannon
05/19/2007, 11:03 PM
Some one mentioned this earlier....I wanted to repeat it.

CLEAN THE FILTER SPONGES! WEEKLY!

You can't believe what a difference this little 5 minute maintenance will make. Well, if you don't do it, you will. Maybe you are like me and have to 'learn' a lesson. *g*

Jim