PDA

View Full Version : Chat????

jsnatas
05/03/2007, 06:49 PM
I am new here and do not understand at all how to access the chat site, plz help someone

MTB
05/03/2007, 07:35 PM
What do you mean bt chat. Non-reef related? That would be the lounge. Your in the right place if you have reef related ?s. HTH

jsnatas
05/03/2007, 07:44 PM
No on the HOME page on the left hand side there is a spot to click on "chat room" and then a page comes up with all kinds of other stuff and nothing works to get me into a chat ROOM. :(

MTB
05/03/2007, 07:45 PM
Never tried that. I don't think I've ever seen it. I will see what happens when I try.

MTB
05/03/2007, 07:52 PM
Looks like you have to sign up using one of the options that best meet your computer. All the chats I have used were a simple button that sent you to the chat room. On other sites of course.

jsnatas
05/03/2007, 08:29 PM
Thank you so much for your reply, which is my thoughts exactly all other chat rooms I have ever been in were just like that one click and you were in, this one is a bit complicated and yes I had figured it was something I would have to download and/or purchase not simple at all - just thought I was missing something, but it appears you have come up with same. Thanks again!! :)

NightShade00013
05/03/2007, 08:43 PM
Well the Reef central chat rooms are the original style so to speak. It's an IRC -- Internet Relay Chat -- Basically the way chat was before super fanciy websites and messengers. It can be fun and for some places is still a staple way of contact. I used to admin for TeamWarfare -- Online gaming community -- and all of our support was handled through IRC. You can use a java client or download mIRC and connect to a server and have some fun. If voice chatting is your thing that is possible as well but RC doesn't have a server. I use Ventrilo quite a bit and deal with online servers. It's nice because you can have real time conversations like a phone call but don't have to pay the long distance fees. If anyone is interested pm me and I can send the info, I have a server setup that someone can use if they need to.

Also I think this http://www.reefcentral.com/chat/jpilot.php is what you were refering to as the one click setup to use the IRC. Just enter your basic info and then use the servername and port already entered.

BTW
http://www.ventshop.net/Graphics/Personal%20Stuff/Welcoem%20to%20reef%20central%20basicgif

jsnatas
05/03/2007, 08:49 PM
Thanks so much for your reply and information on that which explains it that much more in detail. I understand now what it is and I have chatted on some sites in the past with IRC. I just don't want to download anymore things to my computer. Thought it was an easy chat room to get into and speak with some folks about stuff.

Thanks again :-))

NightShade00013
05/03/2007, 09:09 PM
lol, np. I'm not exactly a pro at all the stuff but have done enough to figure out whats going on. Using the IRC rooms with mIRC can be a bit more fun though. You can save your favorite rooms and use settings that make the experience more interesting. One gentleman I do some pc work for is legally blind but uses a program that speaks when someone inputs info to the chat room. Then he can keep up with the rest of the world even if he can't see it well enough.