View Full Version : algae on the sand bed

05/03/2007, 06:55 PM
i have a 150 gallon that i transferred the stuff from my 90 back in october.

i run two skimmers two euro reefs 6-3 modelss

about 100 snails and 100lbs of live rock.

i had the ninety set up over a year and half. my rock is getting alot of coraline algae on it.

when i start the lights the sand looks white but when the lights come on after a hour it looks like green algae on the top.

05/03/2007, 07:16 PM
you can get something to turn the sand over. a few sand sifting stars, bunch of nassarius snails, gobys etc., would work/help.

05/03/2007, 07:31 PM
i have two watchman gobies and the snails help a little i though about just turning my skimmer off and adding two tablets of eurythomicin for a couple of days.

05/03/2007, 08:03 PM
i would be hesitant to use that b/c it can also kill your beneficial bacteria, which may/will lead to spikes in ammonia and nitrite.

down and outman
05/03/2007, 08:54 PM
I forgot to turn my skimmer on after cleaning it one day. Next day my tank was a mess! Not a good idea. Watch how much you feed. Nassarius snails love leftover food. So do crabs.

Are your snails doing anything with the algae? It could be cyanobacteria which most critters won't touch. Just got through with that, had to clean out the tank, overflow and the sump. Yuk!