PDA

View Full Version : about to buy lighting, but wanted to check with you guys

tprize
05/03/2007, 08:33 PM
So I have fallen in love with LPS and softies. And I am about to buy a 130W CF light, because of budget and just want to see if I can keep any of my favorite LPS. If I can not, then I will see about saving for a few more months. The tank is a 20H. 24x12x16

So here are the corals I fell in love with

Blasstomussa
Trachyphyllia
Torch Coral
Chartreuse Heliofungia
Plate Coral

And finally, do you see any problems with keeping mushrooms with these?

Thanks guys I appreciate it, I don't want to buy a light and find out I can't keep any of the gorgeous corals I want.

dustin323
05/03/2007, 10:31 PM
Yeah you can keep all of those under that lighting. Some are gonna say its not that good of lighting which honestly it isn't. T5s or metal halides create way brighter LPS, however 130w PC on 20g is plenty my bro used to have a tank with that exact same light/gallon combination. Mushrooms will be fine also.

tprize
05/03/2007, 10:53 PM
Well I don't want a big tank untill I have a more permanent place not an apartment. So I want something that I can start to build my coral collection with.

elegance coral
05/04/2007, 06:12 AM
The lights will work. I would use 50/50 lights bulbs. I don't know how you are going to fit all those corals in that tank though.

tprize
05/04/2007, 09:16 AM
It's not a matter, of putting all those corals in there. It's those are the corals I like and those are that is the pot I would like to pick and choose from.

bayislandsreef
05/05/2007, 09:51 AM
stay away from the mushrooms!! they will spread all over your rock and eventually take over your rocks

Bcollins111900
05/05/2007, 10:26 AM
Those lights will work fine. I would just try to aquascape the rock work so you can put the corals in the rocks that are higher in the tank. The PAR at the sand bed will be very little so I would try to put what you can on the rock.