PDA

View Full Version : 156g Oceanic Reef Ready Aquarium: Starfire glass?

alve
05/03/2007, 08:53 PM
I was hoping somebody could help me with this. I just ordered a 156g Reef Ready Oceanic aquarium from a local LFS.

The LFS says that for sure the tank does not have any starfire glass.

When I called Oceanic directly the person I talked to told me it has starfire glass but she told me it has Starfire all around (also on the back). I have never heard of that, usually only the front or front and sides.

I read LarryW's thread about his 120g Reef Ready Oceanic Tech Series and he has starfire on front and sides. Is this only on the Tech Series?

Does anybody have an idea if the 156g Reef Ready Oceanic (60.5 x 24.5 x 25) has Starfire glass at all?

Solitaryensis
05/03/2007, 09:11 PM
Yes, unless you made a custom order and specified starfire, your tank will not have starfire - only the tech series tanks come "stock" with starfire glass.

alve
05/03/2007, 09:24 PM
The tank is not a custom order, is an available size on their website.

I paid $1050 for the tank, will build the stand myself. After talking to someone at Oceanic directly and reading on RC that LarryW paid $1100 for his tech tank with stand I thougt that at least the front was Starfire and placed the order.

Out of 6 LFS stores that was the best deal I could find (most expensive one was $1350). Does $1050 sound about right for this tank with no starfire glass or did i pay too much?

Solitaryensis
05/03/2007, 09:32 PM
alve - sounds about right. Good luck with the build. Im sure the tank will look great, despite the fact that it isnt starfire.

alve
05/03/2007, 09:41 PM
Thank you. I will be taking my time doing this build and setup.

After reading threats here on RC for so many countless hrs over the years I have tons of information and notes and I don't know how many bookmarks to threats that I feel confident to make something nice out of it.

I would not be able to do it without all the information from everybody here on RC so thank you all!!!

DarthBaiter
05/03/2007, 11:20 PM
Oceanic is going starfire with all their tanks. Techs will have three side and their reg(ultimate) series will have one (front) side starfire. I'm not quite sure when this went into effect. I believe they are trying to separate the AGA tanks from the Oceanic. I think it's a great move on their part rather than just the color of the silicon being the only difference between the two companies owned by one corporation.

Joe
05/04/2007, 05:13 AM
Oceanic Tech tanks have starfire only on the front. I have spoken to the Oceanic reps in person.

Joe

Solitaryensis
05/04/2007, 11:23 AM
HAHA. Ok, i guess i was wrong. Sorry Alve, i didnt know they changed thier design. FWIW, thats a great deal if you got starfire. I remember that being the going rate for a regular float glass tank.

DarthBaiter
05/04/2007, 11:27 AM
Joe, I have a 70g Tech and I can tell you that all three sides are Starfire, just like Larry W's tech tank.

Joe
05/04/2007, 04:52 PM
DarthBaiter,
I have the 120 Tech, and the factory reps. at That Fish Place, during their anniversary sale, told me that only the front is starfire om ALL the Tech tanks.
HTH.

Joe

DarthBaiter
05/05/2007, 01:33 AM
So is your Tech just one side Starphire?
I ask because mine has three side starphire. I had two of them, the first one had a big scratch on the front glass and was returned, that one also had three side starphire.
Here is a picture of Larry W's 120g Tech tank.
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l273/ld0gg/120_Oceanic/misc/DSC02028.jpg
from his build thred
Larry W's tech build thread (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1053136&perpage=25&pagenumber=5)
One can clearly see that the side and front glass does not have the green tint of the bottom glass.
Oceanic needs to get their staff on the same page. :rolleyes:

Joe