PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if tank can be drilled?

mapleredta
05/04/2007, 02:09 PM
Is there any way I can tell if I would be able to drill the tank for a sump? I bought it as a started kit from petco. Its a 55 gallon tank. Thanks for the help. Also is any one wanting to get rid of a stand and canopy?

papagimp
05/04/2007, 02:11 PM
drilling the back sould be okay, but not the bottom. It's most likely tempered, I forget about petco's tanks for sure, but when in doubt, best to NOT drill. Unless you have money just falling out of your wallet. :D

mapleredta
05/04/2007, 02:12 PM
No I sure dont have money falling out of my wallet. Im wanting to add a sump to my 55 gallon and transfer my 46 to the 55.

papagimp
05/04/2007, 02:15 PM
I'd definatly wait for another opinion. some of these guys here know what brand tank they have at petco and can tell you if any of the glass is tempered or not. Tempered cannot be drilled. Adding a sump is definatly worth it though, and a drilled tank is going to be much more effective and less stressful than a HOB overflow box. I love my external overflow box, but I still freak at everylittle noise I hear from the tank, in fear that my tank is overflowing all over the floor.

mapleredta
05/04/2007, 02:19 PM
yeah thats what im worried about, in georgia its bad weather season so we get really BAD thunder storms. Id hate to have a power loss.

papagimp
05/04/2007, 02:23 PM
I use a u-tube overflow, it's never lost syphon on me, even during power outages (in oklahoma, you can imagine what it's like during tornado season) but If I could empty my tank and drill it I would, just not a feasable option for me right now.

Ronny#66
05/04/2007, 02:42 PM
Go to lifereef filter systems he sells overflow box quaranteed not to pull water out of tank during outage I baught one. I'm afraid to drill my 7 year old never used tank for obvious reasons.

Ronny

mapleredta
05/04/2007, 02:47 PM
Thanks everyone.

fareforce
05/04/2007, 04:27 PM
Petco's 55 Gal starter kits, are mainly AGA's. Sometimes they are a different brand, but either way you can drill the back, and sides, but not the bottom.

If you have never drilled a tank before, and don't want to risk it, you can take it to a local glass shop and have them drill it usually for about $10 ($15 up here in Alaska). If you take your tank to get it drilled, ask that they use water coolant. Otherwise they will usually use anti-freeze.

mapleredta
05/04/2007, 04:29 PM
Ill have to look around for a glass shop, no where around here has one. Thanks for the info.

mapleredta
05/05/2007, 12:06 PM
Any one else who could help me?

fareforce
05/05/2007, 12:54 PM
Most automotive glass (windshield replacement) shops should be able to drill it.