PDA

View Full Version : Water test strips ?

salth2owannabe
05/04/2007, 09:30 PM
Are the water test dip strips very accuarate, or do you really need the drop test kits to get better readings?
Thanks

bertoni
05/04/2007, 09:32 PM
I haven't heard many good comments on the test strips, but I've never used them, so I can't speak from personal experience.

Southern Boy
05/04/2007, 09:43 PM
I have compared strips against regular kits and they realy don't give an acurate reading. You can compare and find out how far off they are and try to make the adjustments but I find that the few minutes saved is not worth a crash or loss in livestock over a quick test!

salth2owannabe
05/04/2007, 09:57 PM
Thanks,
Any suggestions on which test kits to get? Type or Brand?

Reefugee
05/04/2007, 09:58 PM
Same here. I found the test strip to be inaccurate.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9880358#post9880358 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Southern Boy
I have compared strips against regular kits and they realy don't give an acurate reading. You can compare and find out how far off they are and try to make the adjustments but I find that the few minutes saved is not worth a crash or loss in livestock over a quick test!

demonsp
05/04/2007, 10:00 PM
They didnt work well on my pool. Dont trust a strip on that tank you spend so much time ( and money ) on get a good test kit.

spleify
05/04/2007, 10:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9880466#post9880466 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by salth2owannabe
Thanks,
Any suggestions on which test kits to get? Type or Brand?
I've heard Salifert are supposed to be good, I just ordered a full set of them, so I don't have any personal experience with them, just what I've heard a lot on RC. Everything4saltwater defiantly had the best prices.
http://www.everything4saltwater.com/
HTH

reefsbeforehoz
05/04/2007, 11:25 PM
use test kits.

reefsbeforehoz
05/04/2007, 11:27 PM
use test kits. they work somewhat

drummereef
05/05/2007, 12:00 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9880269#post9880269 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by salth2owannabe
Are the water test dip strips very accuarate, or do you really need the drop test kits to get better readings?
Thanks

For accurate, dependable results use a tritrate style test kit such as Salifert. I prefer Salifert for their simplicity and accuracy. ;)

Bambalam
05/05/2007, 07:28 AM
You'll pay more for Salifert test kits, but they're worth it. My only beef with them is the PH test has a color comparison card that is difficult to read - too much change in colors from one level to the next. HTH

Shagsbeard
05/05/2007, 07:40 AM
I find that the test strips work great if you use them routinely to measure many different tanks. You get to know what they're indicating. But if you're just testing one tank over and over again, you don't gain the experience needed to accurately use them. Pet shop owners need to understand this dynamic. They suggest the strips and can't understand why their customers can't use them. The Salifert tests have a much higher resolution, and less error associated with them. They're designed specifically to give accurate readings of salt water aquariums... where as your strip tests typiccally are used for a variety of things.