PDA

View Full Version : Pump Options For Mesh Wheel Mod

Siffy
05/05/2007, 01:13 PM
I'm planning a recirc skimmer build with a mesh wheel modded pump and trying to narrow down the pump choices by other people's expereinces. My first option is a Quiet One 4000 (1017gph stock @ 0' head, 50 watt, $55, 1" NPT in/out) since it's low watt and cheap to purchase. But I haven't been able to find any threads of someone modding that particular pump. Oh, and I already have 2 purchased that are intended for the closed loop on my next tank, but I could use one now to work with and replace later.

Other options are Ocean Runner 3500, Gen-X GX4100, Sedra 9000, Octopus 3000, or any other suggestions?

Just wondering which pump(s) the mesh mod works best with. Which would likely hold up best long term? Adds least heat?

kroe
05/05/2007, 04:11 PM
I modded a quiet one 2200 and got 32 scfh @ 31 watts. It was an easy mod. I expect that quiet one 4000 would work well.

How much air do you need?

Siffy
05/05/2007, 04:21 PM
Not quite sure yet. What did you use to measure the air draw?
I'm planning to buy a RMB-52D and a kil-a-watt to assist me in the tuning of the build.
http://www.dwyer-inst.com/htdocs/flow/SeriesRMPrice.cfm#CRA

I'm thinking about building the super inexpensive 5 gallon water jug skimmer.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=769752&perpage=25&pagenumber=23
Or a slightly smaller one if I can find a couple 3 gallon jugs and place end to end.

I saw your thread about the 2200 mod, ever get any pics of it?

I'm considering just placing the mesh between the impellers before cutting them off. I'd think leaving the impellers in place would push more volume water and thus higher velocity along the venturi and draw more air. Only concern thus far is the impellers pushing the microbubbles back together. I'll have to play with it. Plus if it doesn't work right I can just scrape the mesh off and try again without the impellers. But I'd think all that's really needed is a lot of small fibers/something to break up the air bubbles. I'd rather keep the flow as high as possible, and I'd think leaving the blades in place accomplishes that better. Any thoughts on that? Did you try it at first and then have to remove them anyway?