PDA

View Full Version : Sump and fuge questions

Myka
05/05/2007, 03:44 PM
I have to tear my tank apart to move, so I want to upgrade from a 33 sumpless/fugeless to a 40 breeder with sump and fuge while I'm at it. So regarding that please help me choose the right equipment:

~ Would a 20 gallon be a good size for a sump/fuge?
~ Suggest a return pump? How many gph?
~ Size of drain hole on display?
~ How many gph flow should be going through the fuge?
~ What is the purpose of baffles in a sump?

Cheers!

Myka
05/07/2007, 08:19 AM
Anyone?

Henry Bowman
05/07/2007, 09:59 AM
I'll take a shot !

20 gl sump for a 40 gl tank should be fine.

I'd go with a Eheim pump rated for 300 gph (+/-). Create more current if needed with a powerhead(s). You dont want the flow to be too fast through a fuge.

Drain hole on the display needs to be greater than 1/2". There are many for sale that use a 1" pipe, which would be the best insurance to keep the water flowing in case of an obstruction.

Baffles in the fuge keep microbubbles out of the tank and keep stuff in the fuge that shouldn't be sucked up into the return pump.

Hope this helps !

Myka
05/07/2007, 07:03 PM
Awesome thanks!

I was going to make the fuge it's own entity (kind of). I understand that the flow through the sump should technically be faster than the flow through the fuge. So I will have the fuge separated and have it's own flow. I have a few ideas how to do this...

So what is optimal turnover times through a sump?
What is optimal gph flow through a fuge?

Cheers!

Henry Bowman
05/07/2007, 08:05 PM
A sump is basically a place for equipment to reside so that it doesnt clutter the display. Flow through a sump is only limited by the system's ability to process the water. This usually translates to the size of the overflows. There's a flow calculator in the left column of the homepage of Reef Central that has an overflow size calc function.

As for the fuge issue, the most common thought process is 3-400 gph so that any macro algae has contact time to absorb nutrients from the water coumn. In addition, this lower flow rate is ideal for pods, sand beds and other infauna that are desired in a fuge.

In designing a fuge, you may want to consider using a basic glass tank. You can add baffles in the form of plastic panes cut to size and sealed into place with silicone. Check the DIY forum for more ideas and info.

Henry Bowman
05/07/2007, 08:16 PM
Check out this site...

http://www.melevsreef.com/make_a_sump.html

and this thread

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1115164

Myka
05/07/2007, 09:22 PM
Awesome! Thanks! I have been researching for quite some time now. I think I have a good plan figured out. :) I just need to figure out the size of plumbing and overflows, and drain pipes, etc. I didn't know that calculator was there...I'll go check it out!