PDA

View Full Version : AP24 Fan Problem.

AS11423
05/05/2007, 08:10 PM
Every time I turn on the PC lights and when the fan comes on after a few seconds the fan starts making this grating noise and I have to punch it really hard several times for it to quiet down. Anyone ever have this issue with the aquapod? Any remedies?

TIA

Azial
05/05/2007, 08:15 PM
Replace the fan, it's a common problem with AP24s. I replaced mine with 2 stealth fan before I ditched the hood.

AS11423
05/05/2007, 08:17 PM
Man, I have no DIY skills whatsoever. I buy natural sea water for my water changes for crying out loud, for a 24 gallon tank! Where can I get these stealth fans?

ILoveLlamas
05/05/2007, 11:34 PM
I had the EXACT same problem with my 12.

E-Mail current if it is under warranty. Tell them exactly what you said in the first post. When they respond telling you to go to your local retailer and request part 7102, e-mail back requesting they just send you one via the mail. You will have your fan in a few days. All it takes is a screwdriver and about 10 minutes. It comes with instructions.

STORY FUN TIME!
Current told me to go to my retailer and request the part. They got it from their distributor, but the distributor charged them, so they charged me. They talked to their distributor about it, but apparently current doesn't give them money back either. SO, current ends up screwing someone. Weather it be the distributor or the retailer. So, I ended up just getting one in the mail and returning it in the place of the first one I got.

ILoveLlamas
05/05/2007, 11:34 PM
I had the EXACT same problem with my 12.

E-Mail current if it is under warranty. Tell them exactly what you said in the first post. When they respond telling you to go to your local retailer and request part 7102, e-mail back requesting they just send you one via the mail. You will have your fan in a few days. All it takes is a screwdriver and about 10 minutes. It comes with instructions.

STORY FUN TIME!
Current told me to go to my retailer and request the part. They got it from their distributor, but the distributor charged them, so they charged me. They talked to their distributor about it, but apparently current doesn't give them money back either. SO, current ends up screwing someone. Weather it be the distributor or the retailer. So, I ended up just getting one in the mail and returning it in the place of the first one I got.

icenine2005
05/06/2007, 08:04 AM
...The fans in the AP are crapola. The first fan lasted for about 6-8 months before displaying the "noise" problem you describe and then stopping totally.
Current did replace it, but the replacement fan started displaying the "noise" problem in a matter of weeks.

BTW, they sent me back to the retailer as well.... it seems they practice a "refusal first" policy to see if they can pass things off on a retailer before taking care of the issue themselves. Just call them back and press the issue. Kinda sad they ping pong you as policy though.

Get something aftermarket to replace it. All you need is a set of wire strippers, nut and tape.

Purple Penguins
05/06/2007, 09:30 AM
I have gone through two of the stock AP24 fans, I contacted current and they ended up sending me a whole new hood, I also went to newegg.com and got two stealth fans at a resonable price and good shipping

Azial
05/06/2007, 10:50 AM
Replacing them isn't a DIY operation by any means. You take off the shield via the screws. Unscrew the fan and unplug it. Plus in the replacment fan.

If you get the stealth fan and need help, just PM me. I have done it.

ArgonDreams
05/06/2007, 02:05 PM
I also have replaced them. I got mine from the following.

Stealth Fans (http://www.svc.com/60vanstealfa.html)

It was real easy to replace. I removed the water shield from the screws all around it. You can see there are two fan ports on the back, one has it on it, one doesn't. Unscrew your old fan and unplug it from the board.

The old fan will have 1 red wire and 1 black wire on it, snip those off at the base of the old fan.

The new fan will have three wires. Yellow, Black and Red, snip the yellow wire off, you don't need it, it's only for computers. Twist the metal ends of the red wire with the red wire from the old fan plugin. Twist the Black wires with the black wire plugin end.

Repeat for your second fan. Red to Red, Black to Black, cut the yellow wire off. put electrical tape or connectors on the end and screw to canopy. You are done. Here's a really crappy graphic:

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/7808/isuckandpainttv7.th.png (http://img122.imageshack.us/my.php?image=isuckandpainttv7.png)