PDA

View Full Version : bicolor angels...

n8ureman
05/06/2007, 01:40 AM
I was just wondering how many of you out there have kept a bicolor angel long term? (a year or more) and if so what are they being fed? also what other fish are they being kept with? I know that the sucess rate with these guys is quite poor. so I wanted to see if anyone out there has had any luck keeping them.

reefman8471
05/06/2007, 01:19 PM
I know you wanted information from people who had success with these fish but......I have tried three specimens and the longest I was able to keep one was three weeks. The other two died in a weeks time or less. The three week specimen did eat angel diet and a little brine shrimp but for some unknown reason died anyway. The first two I kept didn't eat any prepared food, they only picked at the live rock occasionally. They are still my favorite Centropyge angelfish but they are difficult to maintain. I have heard that if you get a specimen collected from Hawaii or Fiji they do better than those from the Philippines but that applies to almost all fish collected from the Philippines. They still collect fish with cyanide.

James

EdKruzel
05/06/2007, 02:06 PM
A healthy specimen is the key and like so many other species in this hobby, it appears if the Bicolor is the new "poor candidate".

Should you be lucky enough to find a healthy specimen, care is quite easy. As omnivore/detritivores fish, they will accept a wide range of food; greens, zooplankton and even fish feces are part of their natural fare. Even though a "Dwarf" angel, they are a bit larger than many other Centropyge species and I would recommend at least a 50-75gal as a minimum. You won't want to keep them with any overly aggressive fish, but lesser triggers, wrasse and even some of the smaller lionfish species are just fine as tankmates.

Orvis
05/08/2007, 10:48 AM
I would love to get a Bicolor angel myself, but as has been stated, livestock from the Phillipines just don't do well. Every time I see them for sale in my area, they are from the Phillipines, as the price would indicate. They are much more pricey from other sources. If you can get one from a good source such as Hawaii or Fiji it should do well. Good luck.

puggirl
05/08/2007, 02:50 PM
We have had a bi color angel for over 2 years. We started a reef tank just over 2 years ago and was the first fish we introduced into the tank. We feed flake and frozen foods and run an eco system with protien skimmer. We are want to add other fish and would like to remove the bi color angel. If you have any ideas on how to catch the fish with out damaging the reef you can have the fish! He is fat, happy and very quick. Come get him.

Water Box
05/12/2007, 11:04 PM
I have had my bi color for about 4 years now. Fed with a varied mix of Form One flake, angel/butterfly formula, mysis, and whatever it likes to graze on in and amongst the live rock

sweetrav18
05/13/2007, 07:46 PM
i had one for two years. it ate all ocean nutrition froxen foods and flakes. I had him in a 55g with c,owns, saddleback butterfly, flame angel, damsel. perfect tenant.

Sheol
05/13/2007, 07:51 PM
Doesn't their fragility reflect the improper collecting proceedure(s) used to catch them. IE, Cyanide.?

Matthew.