PDA

View Full Version : Feeding a YWG?

Raibaru
05/06/2007, 11:18 AM
Sup guys, I'm gonna get a yellow watchman goby in the near future and I'm just curious how they go about getting food? I assume they swim up in the water column during feeding times? Or do they wait for stuff to hit the sand before going after it?

Probably a stupid question, but just want to ask before I get it see if I need to know any tricks for them or not.

Also, these guys are sand sifters, right? But they don't build burrows but instead try to pair up with shrimp? In the abscence of a pistol shrimp, will they just hid in the rock work and crevices?

Thanks folks.

fishgutz
05/06/2007, 02:40 PM
I have had mine for about four years. It mostly hangs out in the rocks. It will come out about a third of the way up the water column for food when it gets hungry enough.

flameangel88
05/06/2007, 09:50 PM
I've 2 YWGs paired up with pistol shrimp for 9 months now and they don't venture off from their home and will wait for food come to them. When it's not feeding time I see them sift thru sand every now and then unlike Dragon (Brown Banded) gobies which is constantly sifting thru sand.

Sigmund
05/07/2007, 10:47 AM
I have had mine paired up with a pistol shrimp for over 5 years now. Lives in the burrow with the shrimp, will come up into the water column to feed on brine / mysis etc. He also sand sifts throughout the day as supplementary feeding.

If it's posssible I think keeping them with a sand bottom is better, but not required.