05/06/2007, 05:14 PM
I HAVE A 72" X 24" X 32" GLASS TANK WITH NO OVERFLOW BOX

CAN I USE THE DURSO DRAIN METHOD?

THE TANK IS MARINE FISH ONLY.

I HAVE ALREADY DRILLED 3 - 1" BULKHEAD HOLES
2 - 1" RETURNS USING MOD-PIPE 3/4"
1 - 1.5 POTENTIAL DURSO DRAIN

CAN THIS WORK WITHOUT OVERFLOW BOX?
I WILL BE COVERING THE PIPES WITH AN ARTIFICIAL REEF INSERT IGNORE IGNORE TO PROTECT FISH COMING IN.

RandyStacyE
05/06/2007, 05:38 PM
There's no reason why you can't use a Durso, a Stockman Aqua-Silencer or a Hoffman Gurgle Buster only you will not get the added benifit of surface skimming as you would if you had an internal overflow box.

Water spills over the overflow box therefore all the surface oils and crud is eliminated for your waters' surface. The Durso simply silences the stand pipe.

Daemonfly
05/07/2007, 02:17 AM
Overflows also protect from tons of water draining out of your tank when the power goes out. Only other option off the top of my head is a check-valve, which I don't trust.

Where did you drill your holes in the tank? Hopefully the drain holes are up high, near water surface.

hllywd
05/07/2007, 06:31 AM
Daemon, the height of the standpipe also limits the potential drainage.

ADGMAN, I would be more concerned about the unprotected "lever potential" of the freestanding Durso. For example, what happens when a heavy piece of rock shifts, as they do, leans on the standpipe and causes a bulkhead leak? Or worse, causes a crack in the tank bottom or the PVC breaks?

240 gallons "*might*" be a lot of water on the floor....:eek1:

Tim

brentstep1
05/07/2007, 07:08 AM
It takes a lot of messing around with!