PDA

View Full Version : Flatworms

isekiman
05/07/2007, 12:16 AM
Hi all I have all softies in my 4x4x3 tank with some large tangs, the problem is that my white medusa is covered in flatworms. Not knowing which type they are but they are small round and brownish red colour about 3mm across. I have done a fresh water dip a couple of times but they have still come back. I was told that a Leopard Wrasse would eat them so i bought one about 3 weeks ago and not noticed any change in fact there seems to be more. Does anyone know what will eradicate these pests as they are making the medusa shrink back to nothing, also i have a Manderin in the tank which i have had for about 4 years. Hope you can help as i dont seem to be able to shift them. Many thanks Eric

Faviaphile
05/07/2007, 05:02 PM
In my experience, reddish brown flatworms matching your description (planaria) aren't directly harmful to corals.
People are generally more concerned with an ammonia spike from a massive die-off. But it sounds like yours are pestering your coral. Maybe yours are another kind.

If it seems like an isolated infestation, I would- and have dipped the affected area in Flatworm exit. You can treat your whole tank too. They can be stubborn though, it may require more than one treatment. I just keep mine in check. Mine are planaria and only eat detritus anyways. To make sure I don't have a big infestation I gravel vac them up weekly.

You may want to post a pic if you can- to see if others can help you identify what kind they are. I too, heard that wrasses and Mandarins will eat them. I bought a sixline and he wasn't interested- he only wants the pods!

Good luck!

isekiman
05/08/2007, 01:31 AM
Hi I have been told that they are planaria type and they only stop the coral getting light so killing it, i have fresh water dipped some corals that have them on but they still come back onto the same coral. I have thought of setting up another tank to put all the corals in and treating them with Salifert Exit, then teating the tank with the fish in. Do you know if this would affect the fish as i have been told it will cause problems in a tank. I have a Deltec AP 902 skimmer to take the residue out after treatment, also would the corals be ok to treat in a separate tank or would you treat them individually. Thanks Eric

ziggy222
05/08/2007, 05:44 PM
flat worm exit kills them.its $25 and so far,i have'nt seen it kill anything else in my tank but the flat worms

ScubaRaven
05/10/2007, 12:28 AM
I used Flatworm exit and lost my clams... my corals were affected as well but recovered. The stuff definately works but you have to remove as many as possible beforehand to minimize the die-off. I still have them in my tank after treating so will probably remove each and every coral and rock, blow them off with a powerhead and then treat again.