PDA

View Full Version : Strange Algae

Pez Vela
05/07/2007, 09:23 AM
I need some help on this one. Just recently I noticed some hair like algae(?) waving in the current on the back panel and the bottom pane of my tank. The funny thing is that you cannot see it looking at the tank straight on. You have to look at the tank from one of the sides to see it waving. It is also not on my live rock or corals, but only the glass panels. I cannot even get a picture of it because it is so white/grey in color.

Anyone ever have this before? Herer are my water parameters...

Temp: 78-80°
pH: 8.1-8.2
Ca: 475
Alk: 9-11 dKh
Phos: Just barely +detectable after adding some phosban

Maybe calcium too high causing this whitey growth? I have never seen this before and therefore I am looking for expert knowledge.

Thanks

frederickk
05/07/2007, 03:51 PM
Are you using an RO/DI for your water or is it tap water?

Samala
05/07/2007, 06:09 PM
Does this algae react to water movement? It almost sounds like an invertebrate over an algae to me. That said, there are algaes that are greyish in coloration, and generally make up the red turf algae group.. which can be quite a pest. I'd like to see a pic before anyone advises you how to contain it.

>Sarah

Pez Vela
05/07/2007, 07:00 PM
I am using RO/DI top off and it looks like a wheat field blowing in the wind, except grey. I will try and take a couple of shots of the culprit.

ltouchette
05/07/2007, 07:30 PM
Are you talking about a very thin wispy later of algae that forms on the glass, almost coating it? My tank forms that from time to time and I have to wipe it off with the magnet brush. Sometimes you can see snail trails in it when the snails have been eating it. It's very hard to see and just makes the glass look a little cloudy in places. Cleaning it with the magnet is just part of the normal routine of my tank, i did notice that it collects faster if i feed too much.

Lt