PDA

View Full Version : New live rock going to screw up stability in tank

10" Red Devil
05/07/2007, 06:12 PM
Tank is 4 years old and I just found out that I have hydroids or an algae that is taking over the tank and the only real solution is new rock. I guess I will get some from premiumaquatics and will be getting the cured stuff of course. I am worried it will throw off the stability of the tank by adding all new live rock. Can anyone offer their experience on this?

TIA.

oldreefer76
05/07/2007, 06:26 PM
even getting the cured stuff if you have it shipped will have die off and some sort of cycle so yes it will throw the stability off

10" Red Devil
05/07/2007, 07:25 PM
What about from a local fish store. If I bring a cooler with Saltwater.

BLKTANG
05/07/2007, 07:33 PM
I would try,& find some "established LR" from your local forum.Rock from someone breaking down a tank.If not get yourself a rubbermaid tub,& cure your own rock.I would not recomend putting any other rock in your established system.

10" Red Devil
05/07/2007, 10:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9896237#post9896237 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BLKTANG
I would try,& find some "established LR" from your local forum.Rock from someone breaking down a tank.If not get yourself a rubbermaid tub,& cure your own rock.I would not recomend putting any other rock in your established system.

Okay but I guess what Im wondering is it took a good year before my water became...for a lack of a deeper understanding extremely stable and hospitable to the SPS I keep. Im just wondering if it had anything to do with the liverock completely curing. Im not talking about not seeing any ammonia or nitrite but other process I do not have a deep understanding about other then the fact that I have read (from the experts) that its a good idea to wait to put sps in a tank until the tank has been established for a year for any experience level.

Thanks.

10" Red Devil
05/08/2007, 09:30 AM
bump