PDA

View Full Version : Clam Lighting Question

2OceanLovers
05/07/2007, 10:40 PM
I have a 12gal nano-cube with modded lighting. I have 75w of pc lighting over the tank. Would this be sufficient for any type of clam? I would really like to get one. Thanks for the help.

BTW: I have already posted in the clam forum. I would just like to get a more diversified answer.

ezcompany
05/07/2007, 10:59 PM
simple answer is nope~
deresa yes, squamosa probably yes, maxima pushing it, crocea very pushing it. i would not recommend any clam for a 12 gallon either.

Burlington Reef
05/08/2007, 07:15 AM
ezcompany - can you tell me more about why you wouldn't put a clam in a 12 gallon? What would be the min.? What type of lighting would you have? Thanks

Von_Rahvin
05/08/2007, 08:25 AM
depends on the clam. smaller ones you need to feed. the larger ones need more light but you don't have to feed them.

most people say you need MH lights to keep clams successfully. While i have seen clams under PC, not something i would try. then again most of my tanks have a wee bit too much light .. . .

Jadams
05/08/2007, 09:17 AM
While learning the hobby I once tried to keep a clam under a PC lighted tank and for a few months they were fine. but now IMO, MH is a must for clam keeping. I now have 2 under my MH and they are loving life!

As far as keeping one in a 12g tank, IMO you'll have no problems.

Best of luck!

musicawal
05/08/2007, 09:52 AM
I think a 12g is fine to keep a clam in as long as you have sufficient lighting. I keep a very healthy maxima in my 10g granted I have 150w mh over the tank he was in this same tank for almost 6 months with 130w pc's. I would still highly recommend MH for any other clam than say a derasa or maybe a squamosa. I also keep a small derasa in my 5.5g with 80w PC's and he's very happy. You can check out my threads on here for pics of the clams I'm talking about and ask any questions if you'd like, this is just my .02.

ezcompany
05/08/2007, 10:28 AM
the only reason i wouldn't place one in a 12 gallon is because of water parameters. if you're on top of your daily regimen of keeping alk, ca, temp, etc. rock solid, and you got yourself more light, then you're good to go!