PDA

View Full Version : commercial foods and phosphates

bgcook
05/08/2007, 10:00 AM
do commercial foods contain alot of phosphates (i know some do, but i didn't think the ones i use do). i feed my fish formula one pellets and sprung algae sheets. my snowflake gets silverslides (3-4 days) and i feed my corals about once a week a mixture of blended produce (squid, shrimp and clams) with phytoplankton and cyclopeeze. my phosphates continue to be elevated at around 0.75 and 1.0. i occassionaly treat the tank with blueline phosphate removal, which appears to work well without ill effects on inhabitants. i currently do not run any phosphate media, but i am considering it.

despite this, my corals (lps, sps, shrooms, clams etc.) continue to have good growth and color. i feel if i can get this problem under control, it may be even better. or perhaps, like the TOTM, i should just maintain alk/ca. sometimes it seems testing tanks so much just gives me something to obsess over. if things look good, perhaps thats good enough.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

greg

alan214
05/08/2007, 10:09 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9899958#post9899958 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bgcook
do commercial foods contain alot of phosphates (i know some do, but i didn't think the ones i use do).

That seems to be the overwhelming belief from all the posts I've read here on RC. I do think it varies from brand to brand. Ocean Nutrition products (Formula 1 & 2) seem to be on the lower end of the scale as my phosphates never seem to get very high.

RichConley
05/08/2007, 10:50 AM
Algae sheets have a ton of phosphate in them.

seapug
05/08/2007, 12:25 PM
All foods will contribute to Phosphate levels to varying degrees. Your feeding routine seems awfully "rich" to me, but if everything is healthy and you're not getting major algae outbreaks I don't see any reason to change. Either way, it's always a good idea to only feed what the fish will consume within a couple minutes and try to pour off/decant the debris and misc crap that comes in some frozen foods.

frederickk
05/09/2007, 11:05 AM
If using frozen food it's better to rinse it before.