PDA

View Full Version : newbie question

ratfinck
05/09/2007, 07:02 AM
I just recieved the first shipment yesterday... so far so good. My question is this, I am converting from a fish only tank to a TBS reef, my fish that were in the tank include a yellow tang. I am thinking he is really going to like all the macro algae that is on this rock. I'd really like that not to happen, the macro is one of the amazing things about this rock. Does anyone have a yellow tang in thier reef and if so what did it do to your algae? PS- with the fish only set up the tang was fed a constant diet of romain, which he grazed upon all the time, I am thinking that if I kept him in lettuce he might leave the real stuff alone, thoughts?

Thanks - Jim

scowiii
05/09/2007, 08:08 AM
Probably not. Since there will be a buffet for him there to graze on all day.

highflight
05/12/2007, 08:18 PM
I added 60 lbs. of TBS to an established 90 gallon that had, among other things, a yellow tang. hippo tang, and flame angel. They pick at the rock all day long and are doing great...better than the macro algae. There was a nice piece of shaving brush algae the the yellow tand especially loves and is down to almost a stub. However, I added the flame angel after the rock and he aclimated awesome. He was swiming through and picking at the rock like he was on a reef. The way I figure, it's healthier for the fish to have something they naturally pick on for them to eat.

figuerres
05/13/2007, 08:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9906630#post9906630 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ratfinck
I just recieved the first shipment yesterday... so far so good. My question is this, I am converting from a fish only tank to a TBS reef, my fish that were in the tank include a yellow tang. I am thinking he is really going to like all the macro algae that is on this rock. I'd really like that not to happen, the macro is one of the amazing things about this rock. Does anyone have a yellow tang in thier reef and if so what did it do to your algae? PS- with the fish only set up the tang was fed a constant diet of romain, which he grazed upon all the time, I am thinking that if I kept him in lettuce he might leave the real stuff alone, thoughts?

Thanks - Jim

start a fuge, put a bit of the sand and rock in there with a bunch of the macro and use that to keep some going.

or start a mini tank with small rocks with macro to move from mini to main so you can keep some macro on the small rocks.

this will also help grow pods and stuff.